Going to see PCP

petra65
on 6/8/16 4:31 am - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

i have an appointment with my primary care doc this morning.  I am self pay for my surgery and perhaps one of the drawbacks is that I really don't have to communicate with him much about this process.  I decided it would be a good idea to check in with him and discuss the process and when he wants to see me afterwards to reassess my meds, etc.  also, one of my medications is extended release and I am hearing that will likely need to be changed to immediate release for at least a few months.  Is there anything else I should definately talk to him about pre-op?

WatchKittyShrink
on 6/8/16 7:45 am
VSG on 06/15/16

I am in the same boat as you...I am selfpay as well-so I think a lot of the professional medical help is missed. My PCP basically just had a form to sign to OK me for surgery and that's it. It asked about current medical conditions and such, but again, that's mainly for the surgeons use, not for my primary help.

When my PCP signed off on mine, she said to make a 6 month follow up to check and see where I was health wise. But I am not currently on any medications so maybe that's why so far off.

I think the questions you have down to ask are perfect! I can't think of any additional ones! Hopefully someone in Post-Op can come in here and provide better help!

hollykim
on 6/8/16 9:09 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 8, 2016 at 11:31 AM Pacific Time, petra65 wrote:

i have an appointment with my primary care doc this morning.  I am self pay for my surgery and perhaps one of the drawbacks is that I really don't have to communicate with him much about this process.  I decided it would be a good idea to check in with him and discuss the process and when he wants to see me afterwards to reassess my meds, etc.  also, one of my medications is extended release and I am hearing that will likely need to be changed to immediate release for at least a few months.  Is there anything else I should definately talk to him about pre-op?

ask if he will follow you for lab work. Some surgeons only follow you so far.

Most Active