Pre-op Diet/pre-surgery concerns

JTomo08
on 6/26/16 11:24 pm
VSG on 06/29/16

Hello everyone. New to the site and my reason for posting today is because I am honestly scared about whether or not my surgery is going to happen.

My surgery day is June 29th - just two days away. I have been following my liquid diet faithfully, I started a day late, but I've noticed I've only lost 6 pounds on the diet. Everyone else I know has lost around 15-20 on the surgery. I'm just concerned that if I'm not losing weight on the diet, is my liver shrinking?

I've heard people say losing weight in general makes the liver shrink, but I don't know whether or not this is true. I've lost 35 pounds in the last few months overall so I'm hoping that helps, but could use some reassurance!

SoCalDee
on 6/27/16 5:56 am
VSG on 06/24/16

I just had my surgery on the 24th.

i only had to do a 48 hour pre-op liquid diet and a week of no carbs. I only lost about 7 pounds during this time.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Just continue to follow your liquid diet and you will be fine.

5'0 Heaviest 247.4 Surgery Weight 236.0  Goal 140

*Believe in yourself and you will be unstoppable*

JTomo08
on 6/27/16 8:22 pm
VSG on 06/29/16
On June 27, 2016 at 12:56 PM Pacific Time, SoCalDee wrote:

I just had my surgery on the 24th.

i only had to do a 48 hour pre-op liquid diet and a week of no carbs. I only lost about 7 pounds during this time.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Just continue to follow your liquid diet and you will be fine.

This makes me feel so much better. I called and spoke to a nurse and she sounded surprised that I wasn't losing which really worried me. But if you didn't even need to diet for yours I think I should be safe thank you!

FuturePinUp
on 6/27/16 7:35 am

Don't think of the liquid diet in terms of pounds you should lose or others lost. It's really not about that, but more about getting your insides surgery ready! So, if you've been following the diet faithfully, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about at all, and the loses will come soon enough! 

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

mmsmom
on 6/27/16 7:44 am - Woburn, MA

Just follow the rules - you can't control how much weight comes off - be honest with your surgeon - and you should have no trouble. I think I only lost like 4 lbs on the preop - and boy was I mad!! LOL 

VSG on 04/28/2014

acbbrown
on 6/27/16 8:40 am - Granada Hills, CA

When you were already losing weight and then do a liquid diet, you will lose slower than if you started with the liquid diet.

My 2 cents - not at all docs require a "liver shrinking diet" - mine did not. I have heard surgeons talk about the surgery being a little more difficult with an enlarged liver, but its not fatal to a successful surgery.

You've done really well and I cant imagine you have anything to worry about. Just take it easy, imagine all the great things that are coming, and have a quick recovery!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

petra65
on 6/27/16 6:56 pm - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

Funny you should post this, i just wrote a post about the same thing on another thread.  I have had exactly the same issues for the same reasons (i already lost some weight).  If you have been doing what you were asked to do, Im sure there will be no problem.  Good luck to both of us!

JTomo08
on 6/27/16 8:24 pm
VSG on 06/29/16

Thanks everyone. I think I'm just psyching myself out without even realizing I'm doing it. Just can't believe I am less than 48 hours away!

Most Active