Dehydration?

Rothsteh
on 7/6/16 8:37 am
VSG on 06/27/16

Hey guys,

I was sleeved on Monday the 27th. This morning I woke up with a dry mouth and a foot cramp. To me that sounds like dehydration. I have been drinking sufficient liquids about 68-75oz per day including my liquid diet. 

Am I doing something wrong?

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/6/16 8:50 am

you need to add minerals..

we not only need water but also salts and minerals... low carb diet - most of us are on - makes us hold on less water - so dehydration can happen very fast..

when we were heavy - they told us to limit salt - but so early post op and even long term - we don't eat a lot - and therefore we may not be getting enough salt to maintain proper hydration.  we need carbs or salts -(sodium, potassium, etc) to keep "the water" in the body.. when I do really low carb- I do need to remember to add salts to my foods..

don't be afraid of salt - pickle juice may be really a good idea...salty chicken stock instead of plain water... 

unless you have a problem retaining fluids -  adding salt helps staying hydrated... 

I use Emergen-C electro-mix packets... but even adding a good quality of sea salt to your protein shake may make a huge difference.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Rothsteh
on 7/6/16 9:03 am
VSG on 06/27/16

Thanks so much. I hadnt thought about that. I've been drinking powerade zero to keep the sugar and carbs down as well so that may be helpful as well. I like the EmergenC idea. 

Sammy2929
on 7/6/16 10:45 am
VSG on 05/02/16

Are you on the gallbladder meds yet?  Once I started them, I wake up with my tongue glued to my teeth and roof of my mouth.  I've never had that before and figure it's got to be that pill.  Not sure of spelling but it's like ursadiol.

I have to try and suck in water thru a little pin hole opening between my lips every morning, lol.  The rest of the day I am completely fine.  It just happens sometime over night.

Good Luck!!

Lynn D

Age:52, Height 5'4", HW 299, SW 282.6, Current weight as of 02/22/17 159 lbs.

M1 30, M2 25, M3 30,  M4-9 M5 ? M-6,7,8 25lbs, M 9 1/2 ?

Rothsteh
on 7/6/16 5:45 pm
VSG on 06/27/16

Not on gb meds. But will look out for that if when at happens. 

ksflwr
on 7/6/16 11:28 am

I had the awful dry mouth described.  I blamed it on my cpap.  I no longer use the cpap and the dry mouth has since completely stopped.  I am 5 months post op.

Rothsteh
on 7/6/16 5:46 pm
VSG on 06/27/16

Thanks. I hate to admit but I haven't used the machine too much but my cpap has a good humidifier to prevent that. 

Stephanotis
on 7/6/16 7:36 pm
VSG on 06/08/16 with

I am 4 weeks out today, and I drink one of the small cans of V8 juice daily.  It has the sodium, and the added benefit of being vegetable juice. I feel like I need more vegetables, but right now, I can only get about 2T of soft foods at a time...so it's all protein for the moment.

Cheers and good luck on your journey!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views