In a "funk"

cnanny
on 7/8/16 6:23 am

Anyone else feel like they were in a "funk" about a month or so before surgery? My weight loss has stalled for the last month, which I know is the result of eating more cheat meals than I should. My surgery date is fast approaching but I just feel "blah". And when it comes to food, nothing really sounds appealing. I get hungry but I seem to feel full pretty quickly only to be hungry again 30 mins later.

**Sigh**

Thanks for taking the time to listen/read.. I guess I'm just anxious to join the losers bench and move onto the next phase of this journey.

happyteacher
on 7/8/16 7:12 am

It sounds like perhaps you have just lost a little of your focus. Losing weight preop is brutally difficult (or at least it was for me). Hang in there. Losing weight postop will be much easier, although you will always contend with head hunger. For now, just focus on making one good choice at a time. The greatest gift you can give to yourself if staying on plan and taking off as much as you can before surgery. It will do wonders for both helping you to adjust to eating post sleeve, and the weight will move that needle a little closer to your goal weight. Try mixing things ups- get out and go or a long walk, visit the local zoo- something to get you re-engergized for the next month. During my weight loss phase head hunger was a beast for me. I ended up posting a list on my fridge of 100 things to do besides eat. When I wanted to graze, I would go to the list and do something from that instead. Every little strategy you develop now can help!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

cnanny
on 7/8/16 9:00 am

Yes, I think you are right.  I have lost a little bit of my focus.  I am going to do my best and stay on trac****il surgery.  It's nice to hear that post-op the weight will come off easier. Thank you so much for the support!

Secrets224
on 7/8/16 8:39 am
VSG on 09/27/16

Hi! I am at 25 days until surgery (assuming nothing changes, god willing!!) and I'm having the same issue. I have lost 20 lbs since my surgical consult on 5/2, but can't get down past that. I get down to the -20 lb mark, then go up, then come down. I am hovering around 3 lbs up and down every week so far. I guess I should be excited since before this I couldn't lose anything to save my life, but i have to consider this a "win" and take notice on how just a few little lifestyle changes can make the biggest difference. I don't eat breakfast anymore, I've replaced that with a protein shake every single day and they keep me full. I'm not eating perfectly, but I am trying my best to get into the mindset of "i cant have that, pick something else" so it makes the choices/discipline easier in a month.

You are not alone. I think we are all here because of a funk for the last month, last 6 months or last 10 years. But we are taking steps in the right direction to correct this pattern. All i can suggest is to keep shakes on hand. I even drink a few sips of one before bed so that I don't feel the need to snack since they are sweet and protein packed, and they take away that desire and keep my stomach full.

I'm anxious to move on and start losing right along with you, girl! You are not alone!! Keep at it. We'll be on the losers bench before you know it!!! :)   

cnanny
on 7/8/16 9:03 am

Thank you so so much for your reply!  I have been hovering up and down about 3lbs as well.  I drink a protein shake for breakfast and a few throughout the day as snacks.  I definitely am proud of the progress I have made so far but seeing so many other people doing so well makes me anxious to be right there with them! I hope your surgery goes as planned, keep me updated on your progress!

Darcy G.
on 7/8/16 10:04 am
VSG on 04/07/16

I was the same in months 5-6... My problem was exacerbated by slowing weight loss. On a good month pre-op, I might lose 6-7 pounds, but that came to a grinding halt midway thru month four. I white-knuckled my way for a month, but I was actually starving that month--not head hunger. My calories crept up from around 1200-1300 per day to 1700-1800... But I was still on program(we didn't have a calorie restriction, just what we could eat), and the weightloss stopped dead... Except for the daily fluctuations. By month six and seven, it became worse because it was so hard psychologically to stay on program while feeling ravenous and seeing no loss. 

Stay strong, this SUCKS but it's normal. (But really, it also provided me an argument to the naysayers who never stopped trying to talk me out of surgery--'I'm hungry all the time and no longer losing...so stuff it!!!' But usually more polite depending on how hungry I was at the time.)

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

cnanny
on 7/11/16 6:25 am

Thank you Darcy!  It has definitely been a struggle to stay on plan this last month before surgery.  Working on getting my focus back and going to push myself at the gym since I won't be able to do much after surgery.  Luckily I don't have naysayers right now.. but I will gladly tell them to STFU if/when they decide to speak up! LOL But seriously, only a few more weeks, I can do this!

KTnj63
on 7/8/16 9:53 am
VSG on 07/07/16

That's a perfect way to put it. I was the same way but only for just over 2 weeks because that's how quickly my surgery was assigned.  I couldn't believe they scheduled my surgery before my approval but they did and it all worked out fine. But the stress was very high as I gained 3 lbs before my pre surgery consultation with my surgeon.  He had no pre op diet. And was happy because I had lost 11 lbs from my first visit.  It's overwhelming sometime.  Hang in there just got home from the hospital today with my new sleeve.  Feeling great. Good luck!

cnanny
on 7/11/16 6:27 am

Thank you for your support!  Just a few more weeks to go, and I'll be joining you on the losers bench.  Prayers for a speedy recovery for you!

diane S.
on 7/8/16 10:05 am

If you are in a funk then find a project or mission. It might be a new form of exercise to try. It might be experimenting with Frisco's recipes so you can make them later when you need them. It might be checking out protein drinks and how to jazz them up. diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active