Dumb newbie question

Rothsteh
on 7/14/16 6:31 am
VSG on 06/27/16

Hey guys,

I recently progressed to soft foods two weeks out. What sounds dumb is I still cannot tell what full feels like. I take small bites and time myself to no more than 30 minutes and just stop then. I still do not see those cues that are supposed to be there. Has anyone else seen this? Am I crazy?

Thanks. 

rachelp
on 7/14/16 6:44 am
VSG on 08/01/16

I have not had surgery yet but from what I've read on here many times is that is normal. The nerves in your stomach were cut in surgery so you won't be able to feel full. You have to measure your food so you don't overeat.

Theduffman27
on 7/14/16 6:46 am
VSG on 11/19/14

There is no dumb question! Always good to ask.

You are still healing and soft foods are much easier on your new sleeve. I assume that you are measuring your portions and eating slow? You are training your mind and creating new habits as you progress. I do not remember if I felt full when in the soft food stage, but can tell you that once dense protein stage arrives you will need to continue to measure and chew your food very well and take your time eating. When you get the full feeling, you will never want to feel that way again. Keep up the good work, measure and eat slow and you will be fine.

cappy11448
on 7/14/16 6:49 am

You're not crazy.  Its not clear what full feels like after surgery because all the nerves are cut so you cannot feel the tummy directly unless you overeat and feel discomfort.  But your body will give you signals and you'll come to recognize them.  For me it was a runny nose.  When I was full, my nose would start running. 

I don't remember the other clues my program suggested watching for.

Best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

White Dove
on 7/14/16 6:55 am - Warren, OH

I start sneezing.  The runny nose, sneezing are caused by damage or cutting of the vagus nerve.  That nerve controls hunger.  The actual full feeling comes when you are able to eat dense protein.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Rothsteh
on 7/14/16 7:04 am
VSG on 06/27/16

Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure I was not SUPER SLEEVE able to eat anything in a single bound (That would be bad and how I got here in the first place:)). I am measuring my food for the most part or eyeballing what I think is right which may be undercutting it a bit but I am not sure. 

The scale shows I am losing weight but I want to make sure I am doing this right. :)

Hkinzfnp
on 7/14/16 9:37 am

I would recommend measuring out your portions as well, especially until you have a better sense of fullness.  I am 11 months out and I weigh, measure and track everything to ensure I am within a good calorie range and getting my protein in.  It also helps if I have a good or not so good weight loss trend going to see what works and doesn't.  For me, one of my early signs that I'm getting full is hiccups :)

Highest Weight: 268 pounds.  Surgery Weight 248 pounds.  Current Weight 142 pounds.  VSG 8/24/15 with Dr. Havaleshko

mylastchance
on 7/14/16 9:49 am

First off,  there are no dumb newbie questions.  Second, you are not crazy....unless you're crazy....hahahahaha....Kidding!!!

I think searching for answers before you feel you might make a mistake is a good move. 

As some say, the soft foods do go in sort of easy.  I wasn't able to feel any sort of full feeling either,  but I did sneeze and still do.  That is my absolute tip to being full.  I try not to get to that point.  I put food on a small plate.  I have one that is about the size of a child's plate and I have a bowl that holds about a cup which I use for soup or something along those lines.  I still use these to this day.  I don't try to get a full feeling, I try to eat enough, but not too much.  I use to measure most things,  but now I am able to pretty much know about what I can handle. 

This whole process is a learning experience.  Stick to protein first, stay away from carbs as much as possible,  don't drink calories,  follow your Dr.s plan and you will do great.

Stick to this site and you will learn a lot and get lots of answers to many of your questions in the future.

Good luck and good losing!!

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

mylastchance
on 7/14/16 10:04 am
SherBear1481
on 7/14/16 10:59 am
VSG on 06/29/16

I was sleeved 2 days after you and I was worried about this as well! Liquids and even the pureed foods do down easily and I never quite feel full. I was concerned and brought it up to my nutritionist yesterday (I was worried maybe they didn't take enough of my stomach, LOL). She told me it was normal as those items pass through quickly and she assured me that when I started eating thicker/more solid foods I would feel full and I would know when I was full. I am just going to chart everything and make sure I meet my protein and calorie goals each day. I start mechanical soft food soon, so I am hoping to notice a difference! 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 50 views