New member-- HELP!! Having a hard time not having my diet cokes

lauratabbs
on 7/24/16 6:39 pm
VSG on 07/13/16

Help!! I am 2 weeks post-op and I've lost 39 pounds total (since the very beginning). Everything is going well, except I am really missing my diet cokes, diet dr. peppers. I am dreaming about it and I even cried about not being able to have them today (Yes, really) I feel like I can't have anything. I know I am being silly but I can't help it. I have tried crystal light, minute maid light lemonade (not a fan), etc., but nothing seems to take the craving away. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you.

kyzze
on 7/25/16 1:28 am
VSG on 12/29/15 with

This is a hard one. You might have to bite the bullet on this one, but it will be totally worth it because diet soda is so bad for you. If it is the carbonation you crave try a carbonated water like LaCroix or Sparkling Ice water, they have a lot of different flavors and 0 calories. Try to be strong and not drink them and before you know it you won't miss them as much. Wish you the best!

Kyzze

ttfan
on 7/25/16 2:19 am
RNY on 08/15/16

the reason we don't drink diet soda's is because of the carbonation, so don't drink the sparkling waters etc!  Carbonation stretches your pouch or sleeve out.  Just gotta bite the bullet

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/25/16 3:22 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Carbonation doesn't stretch out your pouch or sleeve, there's nothing wrong with drinking sparkling water. Most people however are sensitive to the carbonation early out, the acid & fake sugars in diet cokes & such people avoid sometimes because the body doesn't do a good job processing it & for some triggers a want for real sugar.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

hollykim
on 7/25/16 8:11 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 25, 2016 at 9:19 AM Pacific Time, ttfan wrote:

the reason we don't drink diet soda's is because of the carbonation, so don't drink the sparkling waters etc!  Carbonation stretches your pouch or sleeve out.  Just gotta bite the bullet

no it doesn't. The reason we don't drink any kind of soda is it can cause more cravings and even weight gain. Has nothing to do with carbonation.

ttfan
on 7/29/16 3:01 am
RNY on 08/15/16
On July 25, 2016 at 3:11 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:

no it doesn't. The reason we don't drink any kind of soda is it can cause more cravings and even weight gain. Has nothing to do with carbonation.

I just wrote what my nut. has told all of us.  She never said anything about it makes us crave other things, if that were the case we shouldn't  drink any no calorie drink for fear of craving other things

happyteacher
on 7/29/16 6:20 am

This is actually right on- the sweetners can trigger cravings for more sweet items. it is the one thing I found I couldn't give up, but if yoiu are able to it is so much better. :) 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

ttfan
on 7/29/16 8:22 am
RNY on 08/15/16
On July 29, 2016 at 1:20 PM Pacific Time, happyteacher wrote:

This is actually right on- the sweetners can trigger cravings for more sweet items. it is the one thing I found I couldn't give up, but if yoiu are able to it is so much better. :) 

so we shouldn't drink crystal light or any of the no calorie vitamin waters?

hollykim
on 7/29/16 8:35 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 29, 2016 at 10:01 AM Pacific Time, ttfan wrote:
On July 25, 2016 at 3:11 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:

I just wrote what my nut. has told all of us.  She never said anything about it makes us crave other things, if that were the case we shouldn't  drink any no calorie drink for fear of craving other things

it seems like, from what we see posted, is the ppl who drink diet sodas tend to drink way more of the diet soda than they do, say Mio drops. 

Ppl don't seem to have as much trouble if the are not drinking soda.

petra65
on 7/25/16 3:47 am - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

I used to really like Coke Zero.  I drank maybe 1 per day-not a major soda drinker.  This is one of those things I gave up several weeks before surgery so I would be prepared.  Anyway, I have found I really like those diet green tea with citrus.  I now drink one of those almost everyday.  I think it might be the caffeine?  

Consultation Weight: 261. SW: 241. CW: 191  GW: 135

Most Active