Birth Control Pills

Buckeyegirl76
on 9/4/16 5:23 pm

Were you required to stop taking birth control pills prior to surgery? I have taken continuos birth control pills for years to help control the effects of endometriosis. If you were allowed to continue what did your surgeon do to minimize the risk of blood clots!

Gwen M.
on 9/4/16 6:01 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I don't remember if I was required to, but I know that I did.  

To prevent blood clots, I had to inject myself with Lovenox once a day.  

Ask your surgeon!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Donna L.
on 9/4/16 6:52 pm, edited 9/4/16 11:52 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I was not, and I took no anti-clotting meds.  However, I have norplant which is an implant and is progesterone only.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/4/16 10:22 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

It's generally recommended that you use TWO forms of birth control after surgery; fertility goes waaaay up for many women and it's important to wait until your weight is stable to conceive (if you want to).

I had a Mirena IUD before surgery, also to help my own endometriosis, and it was not removed for WLS. I had to do anticoagulant shots for 10 days post-op, I'm not sure if my surgeon does that to all patients but it seems that some others here are prescribed the same.

Good thing I had it, too. When we wanted to start TTC, I was pregnant within 3 weeks of having it removed!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

McLassie
on 9/5/16 9:12 am
VSG on 07/25/16

I've also been on the pill for years (17 years) for endometriosis. I wasn't required to stop taking the pill at all and I was given Lovenox for anti-coagulation. I was also walking at least two miles a day starting post-op day 2.

I will add that I spotted for about the first month after surgery. I think that's normal given the hormone dump. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/5/16 10:12 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Yup, seems like many women have problems with their period early on. I hadn't had a period for years before surgery (yay Mirena!) but had a full period that lasted two weeks after surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

FuturePinUp
on 9/6/16 8:22 am

Yes. I was required to stop taking birth control prior to surgery - I believe a month before. I was allowed to continue a month after.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

NYMom222
on 9/6/16 7:05 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I was not on Birth control pills but on Hormone replacement therapy... they wanted me to stop, but I said no. This was a short surgery and the evidence didn't support the need to stop. They had me do Lovenox shots for 2 weeks. For me I figured a few years before I had had a hysterectomy at Sloan Kettering in NYC a world class hospital, with a world class well-known surgeon, and she did not ask me to come off of it, and that surgery ended up being 6 hours, and they didn't require Lovenox after. I just couldn't see disrupting my whole system for it....

On the other hand I did come off for my Plastic Surgeries... although my Gynecologist thought it was ridiculous...just because of the length of the surgeries...I was willing to agree. 8+ hours.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active