Gerd and VSG

lorylight
on 9/5/16 11:57 pm
VSG on 11/07/16

Has anyone had acid reflux that had gotten better or resolved after having VSG? My doctor recommends me having the RNY, but the wls scares me to death. I've research different wls and the only one I'm not afraid of having is the VSG.

Grim_Traveller
on 9/6/16 3:24 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Sure. Some people who had hernias fixed had gerd go away after VSG.

But I have seen far too many with gerd before surgery that got much worse. And many who had zero gerd before surgery that developed it after. Many end up revising to RNY, and gerd disappears.

Listen to your surgeon. Go for RNY. You really don't want to go through all of the complications you are facing if you go against their expert opinion and insist on VSG.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

lorylight
on 9/6/16 9:21 am
VSG on 11/07/16

Thank you for replying :). I notice you had the RNY do you mind me asking if you had any concerns with the RNY when you decided to have the wls? I'm concerned with long term complications. I've seen in different posts that complications had arise years later that are   debilitating and life threatening with the RNY.

Grim_Traveller
on 9/6/16 11:13 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I wasn't concerned. Most long term complications arise from people who dail to follow proper diets and vitamin plan. I just made up my mind tgat I would stay compliant.

I see just as many complications in those with VSG as RNY. And the numbers of long term VSGers is much less than RNY.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Gwen M.
on 9/6/16 4:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I agree with Grim.  I've seen too many people with GERD here force their surgeons to do VSG and then regret it because the GERD gets even worse.  Whereas RNY tends to resolve GERD.  

However, the reflux might be due to a hernia, which could probably be found with an upper GI endoscopy.  Have you had one yet?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

lorylight
on 9/6/16 9:48 am
VSG on 11/07/16

Yes, I have a hiatal hernia. I had an EDG done back in May, and I'm scheduled to have an UGI next week to view the size of the hernia and if there's a shortening of my esophagus. Depending on results from UGI my surgeon said he would decide if I'm still a candidate for VSG. He feels if the hernia is small and there's no signs of shortening of my esophagus that the VSG could still be a choice for me.

dagosson
on 9/6/16 11:55 am

You should talk to your surgeon specifically about your RNY surgery concerns, and ask your bariatric team about the long term side effects associated with RNY surgery. And then ask about the side effects of the VSG, like an increase in GERD, the bone degeneration caused by long term use of PPI, the risk of Barrett's esophagus and cancer from long term GERD, and so on.

there are advantages and disadvantages to each of the surgeries, and while it is up to you to decide which of them is the best choice for you, consulting with your bariatric team and seriously taking their recommendations into account is why they 'get the big bucks' lol. They are very qualified to help you with the pro's and con's of your decision.

for the record, I've been a nurse for 25 years, the first 7 of those spent in the operating room doing these kind of surgeries. (Sometimes knowledge can be a real pain in the butt)  I chose the RNY and voted for gall bladder removal at the same time (tried to talk him into removing my Appendix at the same time but no luck there) because of my occasional GERD, the amount of excess weight to lose, and because RNY has been the go to surgery for many, many years with plenty of long term data. 

Good luck in whichever surgery you pick!

RNY 9/28/16 at Highland Hospital with Dr O'Malley

lorylight
on 9/6/16 12:56 pm
VSG on 11/07/16

Thank you for your reply:) I'm a nurse also and even with all the knowledge I have it's still a very scary decision, and one  that has to be thought out very carefully. I had a very lengthy conversation with my surgeon on Friday of last week he went over both surgeries and all the risk with me, and he addressed all my concerns which I greatly appreciated. I feel very confident that the surgery that he recommends after all the test results come back will be my best option, and with the best outcomes even if it means having the RNY. I guess I just need a lot of assurance that everything is going to be ok.

dagosson
on 9/6/16 1:03 pm

Boy do I know that scared feeling :) 

I'm scheduled for my surgery on 9/28, so now I have the pre surgery jitters, but I am comfortable (finally) with my choice of surgery. I also had originally wanted the VSG, but after really thinking about it, I agreed with the Dr and chose the RNY. Mostly because of the increased risk of GERD. I hate vurping with a passion!

RNY 9/28/16 at Highland Hospital with Dr O'Malley

rojo0191
on 9/6/16 7:59 am
VSG on 03/01/16

It was the first thing my surgeon mentioned when I told him I wanted VSG. He said reflux is most likely to take place. I was already on stomach meds pre-surgery for same reason. Had surgery 3/1/16. Stayed on stomach meds up until about 3 weeks ago. Couldn't pick up Rx for financial reasons. Have lost 88lbs so far and I feel fine without them. No Reflux at all! I think maybe cause all that weight came off before I stopped taking the meds. Or I just got lucky so far, cause from what I hear and read it's supposed to be bad. Didn't have RNY for same reasons as you. Good luck with your decision. VSG worked for me.

Most Active