taking vitamins

KansasPrincess
on 9/7/16 1:19 pm - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

My cousin just had surgery about 3-4 mo ago and she takes her vitamins way different that I do . Im not newbie been at this a yr. and it seems like a lot of people are taking vitamins at night. my dr.  stated vitamin D+ calcium after I eat in the a.m.  along with my multi vitamin. Then 30 min later my Omeprazole. then 2 hrs later my fiber caps then 2 hrs later everything else. Does this sound right? or ok to do? should  I have my PCP re-evaluate?

Thanks for responses  

HEIGHT 5'6" HW: 422.7 CW: 267.8 SURGERY DATE: 10/15/15 GW:160-170 VSG IN TIJUANA MEXICO WITH DR. JAIME PONCE DE LEON- REVISION TO RNY WITH DR. J. STEPHEN SCOTT, KS. 10/16/18

mylastchance
on 9/7/16 2:51 pm

I take Calcium, Multi-Vitamin and D in the morning,  Calcium at lunch, Multi-Vitamin at dinner then calcium at bedtime.  B 12 Monday & Friday.....that's it,  nothing more.  Always have good levels on everything. 

I don't even know about fiber caps or Omeprazole????  Guess I will look it up to see what the heck it is all about,  though I probably won't add it or change my routine.  I am one who goes with....if it ain't broke don't fix it.  LOL

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/7/16 2:57 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Some doctors prescribe omeprazole (Prilosec) or another PPI/acid reducer for long-term use. It can be especially helpful at first because too much acid can mimic hunger and cause trouble. There are some more recent concerns about long-term use, so it's best left to the doc to decide.

Fiber seems to vary based on what you need. I take fiber pills occasionally and don't have too much trouble. Other people need to take something like Colace or Miralax daily. Stimulant laxitives are no bueno long-term, but most doctors seem to be fine with the others on a regular basis-- YMMV!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/7/16 2:54 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

A few general rules-- need to bust out my citations on these, but I'll add when I can find them:

• Multivitamins are best taken with food
  • Iron and calcium can't be taken at the same time because they affect each others' absorption, so it's best to wait 2+ hours between
  • Vitamin D helps calcium, so they should go together
  • Vitamin C helps iron, so THOSE should go together
  • Calcium might need to be split into multiple smaller doses during the day
  • It's a good idea to take fiber separately from other pills since that can affect digestion/absorption

I have a much easier time remembering to take pills at night, since it's a habit I've been in for 10+ years.

• Morning: calcium + D, probiotic
  • Lunch: fiber
  • Bedtime (after snack): multi, iron, B12, other prescriptions

If in doubt, call your PCP or surgeon, they can probably advise you over the phone without making an appointment. Your pharmacist may be able to help as well, they're good at keeping track of this sort of thing. If in doubt, talk to an expert! :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Anita
on 9/7/16 5:47 pm

I use the PatchMD patches.......multis and omega3.....once I have my blood work done in a few months we may need to tweak. I also am currently adding Biotin and CoQ10. Might add some Vitamin D later on but my doctor said to wait til bloodwork is reviewed.

My morning routine is shower, brush teeth, make-up, vitamin patches....get dressed....out the door........easy system.

I hope this helps in some way.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

yvonnef1964
on 9/7/16 7:34 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

You should take the omprazole on a empty stomach 30 minutes before you eat.

msecanales
on 9/10/16 9:54 am

I take my multivitamin, vit b12, and calcium whenever I remember through out the day. Always after food though.. otherwise I will throw it up. 

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

Most Active