Very High BMI...preparing for self-pay VSG in 20 days...what do I do?

ireadalot2
on 9/8/16 10:15 am

I have a short window where I can have help with childcare so I can fly out of state to self-pay for VSG in Florida, because my health insurance plan through husband's work has a TOTAL exclusion on bariatric surgery, regardless of medical need. 

What do I do to prepare? I KNOW I have a Vitamin D deficiency...start taking 5,000 units today? I also need to get my gastritis in line and stick to a 3 protein shakes a day diet...started this morning! 

Has anyone taken Phentermine while on the liquid diet in order to stick to their program? My BMI is 54.6, I am 5'8 woman at age 40 who weighs in at a STAGGERING 359 pounds as of this morning.

I started insulin for my Type 2 diabetes about a month ago and actually gained about 20 pounds very quickly. 

I also need to increase my mobility...I spend a lot of time seated due to pain in knees/back/ankles and feet. Plan to start walking today. 

I also plan to start taking a multivitamin today. Any other suggestions? 

Thank you for any and all advice! 

Gilsanchezjr
on 9/8/16 10:31 am
VSG on 06/07/16

Good luck with your surgery. You doctor will most likely have you go on a liquid diet before surgery and after surgery for a few weeks to help you lose weight. Hospital stay may be anywhere from 1-3 days unless there is a need for you to stay longer. After surgery You will need to take multivitamins, calcium citrate, iron, vitamin d and maybe also vitamin b12 and biotin. Recovery may take anywhere from 1 week to as long as 6 weeks depending on your specific case.

Thanks,

HW - 309, SW - 243, CW - 186

ireadalot2
on 9/8/16 6:11 pm

Thank you, Gil! Did you take any vitamins BEFORE Surgery to make sure your body was in top 'fighting' shape? I just read that someone's doctor told her to STOP taking vitamins before surgery! 

Anita
on 9/8/16 10:39 am

Hi....and best of luck in your journey. First of all, you will get fabulous advice and support here, BUT....the questions you are asking are best answered by your doctor as they all impact your medical treatment.

The advice I can give you is:

DO NOT discuss your surgery with everyone you meet........the "amateurs" have no idea what you are going through physically or emotionally and they will have all sorts of opinions (some good, but most not good)..... that will not help you....in fact, half the time, they will throw obstacles in your way - either intentionally or unintentionally, they will still disrupt your progress and peace of mind.

Come here for any questions, concerns, fears, joy, success......anything that pops into your head.......you've come to the absolute best place to help you every day of this journey....this board is a life saver (sugarless but truly sweet)

As to vitamins, I use the PatchMD that is advertised here on OH. They offer a 30% discount - check out the ad at the bottom of the page. I'm terrible with pills (really bad gag reflex) and this is a fabulous option for me.......and my surgeon approved them, so that's even better. That is all I will say about vitamins as I am not a medical person and don't have the ability or knowledge to tell you what is best for YOU.

When I do my protein shakes, my preference is chocolate (I always tell people that of course I like chocolate.....I didn't get this way on cottage cheese)....I doctor the shakes at times with some cinnamon or vanilla extract. I also purchased a product called PB Fit - a powdered peanut butter that has no oil and is pretty low in calories.......but good in protein....a teaspoon or less gives the chocolate shake a good flavor add. Soon your stomach will feel more comfortable with not so much food going in and you'll start feeling better overall.

That's about all I can offer you at the moment......I'm headed out the door, but saw your post and didn't want to not answer it quickly as I know how vital it is for newbies to get needed support and answers as soon as possible........it's a HUGE decision to change your life and whereas it sometimes seems overwhelming, we're all here to help you get to the point that you feel safe and comfortable.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

ireadalot2
on 9/8/16 6:13 pm

Thanks, Anita, for your long and kind response! Great advice...I started my shake today and have been using bananas for added flavor/volume..I forgot I have some PB2 in my cupboard which I never opened! Will email my surgeon's office in Florida tomorrow about my vitamin/prep questions. 

White Dove
on 9/8/16 11:29 am - Warren, OH

STOP and consider.  Type 2 diabetes will almost certainly go into remission with RNY.  You will be off the insulin probably before leaving the hospital.  You will malabsorb calories and lose more quickly with RNY.

With VSG you will stay on insulin and it will make you keep gaining. 

Your best shot at getting rid of weight and diabetes is the DS with 95% remission results.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/16 12:43 pm

I do not disagree with anything you say here. I would like mention that I went into surgery after fasting for a full 36 hours with a blood sugar level of 140 (not horrible, but not good either). I woke up with a blood glucose level of 88. My fasting level has stayed in the 80-90 range since VSG and my A1C is always right around 5 - even with my bit of regain. 

White Dove
on 9/8/16 1:22 pm, edited 9/8/16 6:22 am - Warren, OH

Blood sugar of 140 is not usually treated with insulin. 

Getting off of insulin has less than 50% chance with VSG.

75% with RNY

95% with DS

The longer you have diabetes especially when treated with insulin, the less your chances of remission

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

ireadalot2
on 9/8/16 6:16 pm

Well, that's good news for me. I've only taken insulin for about 2 months and I have only been diagnosed with diabetes for about one year. I have full confidence that my weight loss will ELIMINATE the Type 2 and put it into remission. 

ireadalot2
on 9/8/16 6:14 pm

White Dove, what i REALLY want is the Duodenal Switch. But this is SELF-PAY. I think that the weight loss will really lower my blood sugar, especially sticking to a low-carb diet. The only reason why I had to start insulin in the first place was because I lacked the control over carbs and sweets. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views