ppl gonna talk...

msecanales
on 9/9/16 6:48 pm

So I just experienced my first disappointment. I have worked very hard with this weight loss. Eating right, keeping up with proper protein, cutting out carbs, drinking enough water, taking vitamins... You all that have had the surgery know what I mean by all of this. So the other day, an acquaintance that I use to be friends with several years ago, said, "Working out is hard work and I wish I could of just had surgery to get my body in shape but then thatd be too easy huh? Just kidding, props to all the easy getters". 

Only my family knows that I have had surgery. Mainly because #1, it's no ones business and #2 I didn't tell any one that I was going to have it done because I didn't know if the surgery was going to actually work for me. 

Any ways, I am disappointed in that person because I know it was a "passive aggressive" approach since everyone is already ASSUMING that I either had surgery or am doing drugs.. OMG...

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

Gwen M.
on 9/9/16 6:57 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

This is one of the reasons I have told everyone that I've had surgery.  It helps to control the gossip and it's pretty clear that it's not easy.  So I can dispel rumors about myself as well as correct misinformation about surgery :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

msecanales
on 9/9/16 7:05 pm

I don't understand why ppl cant just let others be happy. You know, not worry about what any one else is doing. How does my life affect theirs? 

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

psychoticparrot
on 9/9/16 8:55 pm

Don't try to understand the motives of malicious people. It'll drive you crazy. Just accept that the world is full of ******** and shrug off their idiocy. Makes life a lot easier.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

msecanales
on 9/10/16 9:40 am

Very true! This is one of the reasons we are no longer friends. She has a dirty heart. Always tries to play both sides.. Move on. 

White Dove
on 9/9/16 7:14 pm - Warren, OH

My answer is always that I took the easy way out because the hard way did not work for me.

Once you let people know you had the surgery, they will find somebody else to talk about.  Surgery obviously did work for you.

It is none of their business, but they make it their business. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Anita
on 9/9/16 7:58 pm

the "easy way?" Right........ignore the stupidity.......it's her problem, not yours.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

McLassie
on 9/9/16 10:22 pm
VSG on 07/25/16

Oh, people and their comments. I've heard my fair share. One of my coworkers (a fellow nurse) asked me what was new about a week before surgery, so I told him I was having a VSG. His response? "But you're beautiful already!" REALLY?! Yeah. That's why I'm having it done. Because of looks. Please! Worse yet, I felt the need to explain to him a few other reasons being obese is difficult.

Like Gwen, I've decided to be open about my surgery. I want to be able to have direct conversations about what I did to try to relieve some of the stigma. I was (am) obese and I needed help. I couldn't fix it on my own. I tried, but I couldn't. If my openness helps just one person, it's worth it. 

Bummer about your friend. At least you know her true colors now.

Grim_Traveller
on 9/10/16 3:26 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Well, it was not only the easy way, but the only way. I have no problem with that, and don't feel the need to defend it.

Like others, I told everyone about the surgery. And I told them in a way that made it clear that I wouldn't listen to any crap about it. People will assume that anyone that loses that much weight, that fast, has had surgery. Then they gossip about it. I put an end to it by telling them up front.

I have yet to hear criticism from anyone.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Mike B.
on 9/10/16 7:02 am
I hate to say this, but there are going to be people along the way that will disappoint you either unintentionally or intentually. Either way, you did what you did to help you become a healthier you. Just bru**** off and stay focused on your goals in life and let people say their stupid comments.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views