Ferritin

wyo_sarah
on 10/5/16 1:12 pm

My WL surgeon doesn't do WLS any more. His clinic still does follow ups, but they are 4 hours away. I don't really want to drive 4 hours and take a day or two off work to see a nurse or PA. So, I had my 2 year blood test done and evaluated by my PCP. My ferritin was low, like 5.6. I've been very tired lately. But, my PCP said I'm not anemic because of a couple other numbers that were normal. My question is, has anyone else had low ferritin, but other numbers were normal? What did your surgeon do? I also have a gigantic painful bruise on my leg that I don't know where it came from and (this may be TMI) my last menstrual cycle was longer and heavier and later than usual.

Anyone have any insight?

White Dove
on 10/5/16 2:47 pm - Warren, OH

What is the range for ferritin?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Joshua H.
on 10/5/16 2:55 pm
VSG on 10/26/16

11 to 307

White Dove
on 10/5/16 3:00 pm - Warren, OH

Then I would take iron pills to try to bring it back up

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kerig
on 10/5/16 5:22 pm

I had this issue when I had the band.   It may not be your ferritin.   This is a bit tricky, but if you are low in B12, it can affect your ferritin levels.   It's actually a specific protein that causes this. My advise is to up your B12. 

wyo_sarah
on 10/6/16 9:01 am

I called my WLS office, even though they aren't doing surgery they are doing follow ups. I faxed her my results. My PCP said my B12 was fine, but the nurse at the center said it was low for a bariatric patient. Thanks for your input.

Grim_Traveller
on 10/5/16 6:21 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Your doctor is nuts. A ferritin of 5.6 is abysmal. Even if you could raise it with oral iron, it would take months, and you will feel like crap the whole time.

Hemoglobin and hematocrit tests show how much iron is in your blood, working, right now. Think of it as money in your pocket, that you can spend right now. Yours might be ok. For right now.

Ferritin is iron not currently used, but stored for future use. Think of it as money in the bank. At 5.6, you are broke. You have enough in your bank to live on until this afternoon. If anything happens, you are screwed.

You won't get those numbers up without iron infusions. This is serious. Find a hematologist, preferably one who has worked with WLS patients. Don't let it go.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

wyo_sarah
on 10/6/16 9:02 am

Thank you. I faxed my blood tests to the WLS office. The problem is I live in central Wyoming. I don't even know if there is a hematologist around here, doubtful one who has experience with WLS, but I will see what I can do. Thank you!

Eggface
on 10/5/16 7:43 pm, edited 10/5/16 12:45 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Agree 100% with Grim... it's not feasible to get that # up with oral iron. Ask your Dr about http://www.injectafer.com/ injectafer iron infusions. 2 - appt's. They hang a bag for 30 minutes, 1 week apart. You'll be golden again.

I had a Ferritin level 2 and it brought me right back up. 2 years now levels have been great.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Eggface
on 10/5/16 7:44 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

LOL I sound like one of those commercials on TV... ask your Dr if injectafer is right for you ;) 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active