Can we please talk antidepressants

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/16 1:56 pm, edited 10/29/16 2:35 pm

Is anyone finding it harder to lose while taking antidepressants. Some have said they don't have

calories. If you read up on them, wt gain is one of the first side effects. What's your experience????

Kathy8429
on 10/29/16 2:23 pm

A lot of medications cause slowed weight loss, antidepressants are a big one. However while it may take longer to lose the weight while taking certain medications it will happen. Just takes a little longer 

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/16 2:27 pm

thank you, sometimes I just feel like giving up, damn medicine, on the other hand, I need it, I saw so many people who have tried so many and don't get any relief so I guess I need to be thankful and keep pushing on.

thank you for taking the time to reply

missc_26
on 10/29/16 2:35 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Yes definitely some antidepressants can mess with your metabolism and make it harder to lose weight or even gain weight.  That is one of the contributing factors to how I got so big and am where I am now with surgery.

They do serve their purpose though so don't be discouraged. Progress may be slower but you will get there :)

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/16 2:55 pm

thank you I was doing fine til may, now bloating up with med change.  So frustrating. Thank you for your kid words. I' m so angry I haven't reached goal yet :(

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/16 2:57 pm

its all I want for Christmas.

diane S.
on 10/29/16 3:06 pm

Well I was a slow loser and took paxil the whole time. A lower dosage. But I did  get to goal and am maintaining pretty well. I have tried to get off the stuff a few times (talk to your doctor about tapering off - don't ever quit cold turkey - there are side effects) but I found I just didn't feel right. I think its just a chemical thing that I have needed all my life.  Some meds may be better than others regarding weight gain so again, heck with doctor. GL and be sure to treat depression one way or another. Weight loss may affect dosage needs.   Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/16 4:01 pm

you are awesome and an inspiration, thank you so much.

NateH
on 10/29/16 6:44 pm
VSG on 09/26/14

Full transparency: I work in pharma marketing and have a lot of exposure into Central Nervous System diseases and drugs  

Trintellix doesn't cause weight gain. It's unique in that regard. It's for major depressive disorder so it may not be appropriate for most. 

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/16 5:43 am

thank you for your professional opinion.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views