gaining weight back almost 2 years post-op. Lost cause?

Oliviawashere
on 11/14/16 2:16 pm

Is there any hope for me? Can I even recover from my mistakes?

I got pregnant, 9 months post-op. I had already lost over 100lbs. 284 to 176. My baby is going on 5 months old. I am at 185 right now, but it's creeping up. I've lost all motivation, I don't drink water - at all, I take no vitamins, & I eat like I'm still 280lbs or more. I have restriction, but nowhere like it was, I have cravings galore, you name it, I can eat it with only the repercussion of a scale moving in the direction, I don't want to see. Will power gone, depression, guilt setting in.

My question is, am I lost cause? I am I just going to continue to gain, even if I found my will power? Will it be amazingly harder to lose weight than I have ever imagined? Is my restriction ever going to be less, than what it is at the moment? I know it'll never be like it was in the beginning, but would I get it back if I started being strict to myself again? Would a 2 week liquid diet, kick me back in gear? I'm so lost, I'm confused, and I don't know where to go from here - or I do. I just need to find that voice I once had that gave me the strength to go through surgery & lose the weight I have.

Thanks for listening, any advice I'd appreciate it.

Anita
on 11/14/16 2:37 pm

I'm only 5+ months out, so I can't speak from VSG experience....only from lap band experience. Go see your doctor.....go soon and please stop beating  yourself up. You've only gained a little......your baby is only 5 months old and you are undoubtedly tired and probably emotional. Be kind to yourself and recognize that you're human.

Go back to basics....start small....do a liquid diet with high protein for a few days.....(as long as you aren't nursing being on a restricted calorie diet should help you with a jump start).....the night before or first thing in the morning, measure out your water / fluids for the day and make a plan to have 1/4 of it in the morning before noon, 1/4 by 3PM, 1/4 by 6 or 7PM and the rest before bedtime.....or whatever works for you....that's my schedule and it works for me.....possibly not for you - I'm a night owl, so drinking my water at night doesn't keep me awake all night but it does help with the cravings for snacking. If possible, remove "contraband" from the house. I live alone so it's easier for me except on weekends when my boyfriend is here and I get stuff for him....but I've been buying lots of fresh fruit and veggies and he's happy with that as long as I have a big bowl of already prepped peppers, cucumbers and celery in the fridge. When I make meals for us, I make sure I only make enough for him of the things that I shouldn't eat. Lately though, he's been refraining from those things as well, so I no longer make potatoes or rice.....it's a good thing!

Whatever else you do....be sure to come here often....even if it's just to lurk. The support is amazing and will surely help in some way to get and keep you back on track. You've got this! We've got your back!

Best of everything in your renewed journey.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

AK_Gipson
on 11/14/16 2:39 pm, edited 11/14/16 6:40 am
VSG on 04/14/14

2.5 years out and I realized I gained 27 pounds back. 

First thing I did was jump on this website and visit everyday. I read everything everyday, even if I don't post. I was at a birthday party with pizza and cake and I grabbed my phone and started scrolling posts until I could walk into the kitchen without grabbing an entire pizza!  So realizing and reconnecting is a good first step,... One you've already done!

Back to basics. Protein first, protein second, veggies third. Log and measure/weigh everything you eat.

Drink non caloric fluids. Everyday. All day.

Cut calories. This will be painful. Record what you are doing now, and cut back more each day until l you get to where you are losing. I had to get down to between 800-900 calories to consistently lose. I weigh everyday. 

Start moving. Walk. Join a gym, go dancing, whatever just move :) 

im 10 pounds down, only 17 more till regain is gone!!!

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

Donna L.
on 11/14/16 2:58 pm, edited 11/14/16 7:00 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Weight gain is not necessarily a matter of willpower.  Many of us who are/were obese often mindlessly ate.  All the willpower in the world does not help with that.  You need to diligently track what you eat, even and especially, bites.  One day two months ago I started tracking bites - I had eaten 500 calories in bites one day.

We also can never rely on restriction.  I am 17 months from my surgery and I only lost 140 pounds or so.  It is because, simply, I eat too much.  I need a malabsorbing procedure in my case, which I expected, as well as continual support.  I have zero restriction...I actually haven't tried to hit it since I think that would trigger a horrible habit.  I can eat a full small meal and I don't even have a big sleeve.  With the VSG only you have to track and measure and watch what you eat.  That's just how it is.  We don't have the benefit that the DS or RNY have.  Also, fullness for the obese has always been different than it has been for skinny people.  It changes the way our body considers us to be full to keep eating until we feel something.  I always advise against this.

As for how to get back on track, first of all, admit what is going on and be kind to yourself.  Don't proceed alone - seek out extra support and help.  A new baby is a blessing, but also a ton of stress, and even good stress is still stress!  It still causes us to stimulate cortisol which stimulates appetite.

Exclude all biological stuff: deficiencies, thyroid, etc.  Then move to behavior and habit.

It's definitely doable.  It requires persistence.  If you mess up, admit it, and stand up after you fall down.  I've messed up a crapload.  As a result I went back to counseling and started Vyvanse for my eating disorder.  It's slowly begun to make a difference.

All change is gradual.  It can take years to relearn new habits.  The most successful among us are brutally honest and do not settle for excuses... I'd argue though that's true of any success not just WLS.

Do not despair - also do not wait to change.  It is always the right time to do the right thing.  There is no perfect future moment.  Just take the first painful step.  A thousand steps eventually get you somewhere.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Rachel B.
on 11/14/16 4:05 pm, edited 11/14/16 8:05 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I had my surgery 8 years ago.  Around 2010, my life went FUBAR.  As of 15OCT, I was back to 234.  My low was 149.  I've got back on here, and started tracking every bite of food I eat, increasing my water and upping my protein.  over the past month, I've lost 14 pounds.  I've been here every day, being accountable, and it's been good for me.  I feel like I will get back down to where I was.  It may not be near as fast, but I know it's not impossible.  You can do this!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Oneillch
on 11/14/16 4:22 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

First of all......YOU ARE NOT A LOST CAUSE & NOT ALONE! Get yourself on track by weighing, measuring & tracking everything you eat. If you think a liquid jumpstart is the way to go, then do it. (Some will argue that it's going back to a diet mentality.) Remember to eat dense protein (go for foods that have at least 1 gr of protein for every 10 calories) & to drink at least 64 oz/day. Plan your day's meals the night before. If you're going out, most restaurants have a menu online so you can always make a plan before you go (& stick with it).

You realize that you're off-track (a big realization on your part) & deep down you know what you need to do. For motivation, find a support group in your area (such as a Bariatric group at your hospital or an Over Eaters Anonymous group). And, I believe there's a group on this site that's comprised of others who are also dealing with regain. 

Set realistic goals & be kind to yourself. 

cappy11448
on 11/14/16 5:05 pm

You can get it back.  Don't give up.  Managing our obesity is a life-long process.  the sleeve is a tool, not a cure. It only works if you follow the rules.   You can do this.

Here are some things that work for me. (I'm 3.5 years out, and I try to limit my gains to 3 to 5 pounds before getting back on track.)

1.  Give up the carbs.  Carbs cause food cravings for me big time.  There is no way I can stick to my plan if I am eating carbs.  Decide to do it and go cold-turkey.  It only takes a few days and the cravings will pass.

2.  Keep lots of good-tasting healthy foods in the house.  I need an enjoyable alternative to all those high calorie, forbidden foods.

3.  Weigh and log all you eat.

4.  Eat dense protein first.  Restriction only works when you eat the dense protein first.  Dense protein causes the pyloric valve at the base of your tummy to close.  If the valve is open, it doesn't restrict.

Good luck.  I know you can do this.  And its worth it.  The sooner you make the commitment, the better you'll feel.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

NYMom222
on 11/14/16 5:17 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

You just had a baby, be kind to yourself. Even people who don't have weight problems pre-pregnancy don't all instantly 'bounce back'...to pre pregnancy weight.

You've already pinpointed some of your problems, no water/fluids and no vitamins. Those changes in themselves will make you feel better.

See the Five-day-Meat test link in my signature- getting back to dense protein can make a huge difference.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

White Dove
on 11/14/16 6:20 pm - Warren, OH

I have been there and back several times.  Here are my tips:

1.  Stock up on low calorie foods i.e. buy the yogurt with the lowest calories

2.  Weigh your food on a digital scale and track every calorie in My Fitness Pal.

3.  Move - wear a fitness tracker and walk, run, swim, go to the gym.

4.  Weigh yourself every single day.

5.  It takes 3500 calories to lose a pound.  I cut 500 calories a day and give myself one week for each pound to come off.

This always works for me.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

wyo_sarah
on 11/15/16 11:13 am

Speaking from my personal experience, I feel my restriction more when I eat only protein. I only ate 1000 calories yesterday and was completely satisfied. I'm 2 years 3 months post op.

Most Active