WOW...the board is quiet tonight.....What's everyone eating for Thanksgiving?

Anita
on 11/21/16 9:04 pm

My honey is taking me away but he won't tell me where yet..........his kids live on the other side of the country and all of mine are with other people this year - I'm not unhappy with the thought of not having to clean up a mess....and I'm not overly interested in the monstrous meal that accompanies it.

I'll be just as happy with a burger - turkey isn't my favorite meal, and I used to enjoy all the sides.....they don't particularly interest me anymore either....woo hoo!!!

Anyhow....since I don't know where I'm going, or when.......I'll just take this time to wish everyone a wonderful, lo or no-carb, high protein, possibly pureed or liquid, healthy and happy Thanksgiving.

As the mother of a veteran, I would also ask that everyone keep our military people in mind and be thankful that they stand watch so that we can be safe in our homes......and wish them a speedy return to their own families.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Jevelynne
on 11/21/16 11:13 pm
VSG on 10/26/15

We will be going to my fathers this year for Thanksgiving. Last year I had just hit soft protein stage at Thanksgiving and I had an egg for Thanksgiving dinner. This year I will have turkey a little green beans & possibly make a protein pumpkin dessert for myself & let everyone else enjoy their potatoes, stuffing, pies & rolls! I am really excited about the Turkey. It's been well over a year since I had roasted turkey.  

HW: 299   SW: 277.2   VSG: 10-26-2015  Dr. Brian Gluck
Dr Goal Weight : 182.5 Hit Dr Goal 7-23-16
New Goal Weight: 170

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 11/22/16 3:03 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I'm leaving for 5 days in Florida on Thanksgiving afternoon, so my husband and I are just cooking a small turkey breast, green beans and sweet potato pie (son is making the latter).  No stuffing, gravy, rolls or dessert (the sweet potato pie is like a dessert).  I always used to host Thanksgiving, so I'm happy about no big cleanup, but I still miss everyone getting together.  

Christmas is strange now too with only one grandparent left but unable to participate due to dementia and age (97).  The kids come at different times and the west coast side of my husbands family stopped coming a few years ago.  We went from hosting Christmas for 20 years, with 20 plus people to getting together with my sister-in-law at her house with a few people stopping in here and there.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

cappy11448
on 11/22/16 3:47 am

Lovely post.  I hope you have a wonderful and adventurous thanks giving.  Its nice to have a little surprise in the holidays.

I am cooking for my family.  They love the traditional turkey meal, so we will be having the turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squash, and mixed veggie.  Plus pumpkin pie for desert. 

I usually do pretty well, eating mostly turkey and veggie with a little stuffing, sweet potatoes and of course, my favorite, pumpkin pie. 

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.  May you be filled by the love of family and friends, and not so much by the food. 

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

rissa1224
on 11/22/16 4:59 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

Hope you have a great time, wherever you end up!

Well, plans changed last minute so my ideal plan for knowing what I will eat  - and keep me full - has changed. Originally it was my family for the antipasto course (meats and cheese galore), but now they changed the time to a later start. The same exact time we have to be at my boyfriend's family. I know his cousin's wife is Italian so I pray she has some type of antipasto set up. I don't love turkey so I will only eat it if I am uber desperate. So, unfortunately here, its unknown. However, I will make sure I have a Premier Protein shake on the ride down!

mmsmom
on 11/22/16 5:37 am - Woburn, MA

In 2007 my doctor gave me the option of lapband surgery the day before Thanksgiving - and I jumped at it - So thanksgiving reminds me of the very beginning of my road to the sleeve (the best thing ever).

I will host with:  turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, salad, corn, butternut squash, cauliflower, gravy and cranberry sauce, followed by homemade cheesecake tarts and fruit crostada.

I plan on eating in order of my favorites - turkey, butternut squash, potatoes with gravy, cranberry sauce and then dessert!  

VSG on 04/28/2014

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/16 6:27 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Sounds like an awesome surprise!  What a wonderful husband.  

Yes, always thinking of our veteran's and military.  So thankful for what they have done and do.

I am cooking a turkey, cornbread stuffing, sweet potato and veggie for my husband.  i am on soft foods so probably tuna for me.

psychoticparrot
on 11/22/16 7:58 am

I checked this site just before bedtime last night and thought the same thing -- where was everybody? It was a little spooky. 

My son and daughter-in-law will be preparing a traditional Thanksgiving dinner -- turkey with trimmings. My plan is the same as last year -- eat turkey first, then have a bite (literally, one small bite) of my favorite sides. No dessert. Won't have the room or the desire for pumpkin pie. And, as always, my thank-you for the feast will consist of shooing everyone away from the kitchen afterward and doing the clean-up myself. Minimal feasting followed by mild exercise -- a win-win for me, and my son and daughter-in-law get a well-deserved break.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving trip, Anita! And Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

michellemj
on 11/22/16 8:42 am

I'm hosting and the menu this year is:

Turkey and gravy (ew. I hate gravy)

Gluten free dressing

Mashed Cauliflower (and mashed potatoes for the carby folks)

Roasted brussels

Carrots (sugary kind that his mom makes and I won't touch)

Peas with mint, shallot, lemon

Stuffed acorn squash (I have a vegetarian coming and I want a nice main for her)

Cheesecake

Pumpkin roll (gluten free, sugar substitute)

Coppergirl
on 11/22/16 8:47 am

We will go out to dinner. With both my daughter and I being less than 3 months out from surgery, I really don't want to cook. We don't need all the desserts or left overs around either. The day will be pretty hard. Last Thanksgiving was the last holiday I spent with my sister. I lost her on December 4th. I am very thankful that it started my journey to a healthier me because I am determined to be here for her children/grandchildren as well as my own. But, it will also be a bitter sweet day of memories. I think it  is best not to take the chance of having food around. Easier to resist temptation.

I hope everyone has a safe, wonderful, successful Thanksgiving!!!!

Started this journey 6/6/16 - 246.8lbs. SW 214 - 9/6/16 VSG. CW - 158. (9/15/17) Post VSG M1- 20, M2- 8.4 M3- 6.6 M4- 8 M5- 3.6 M6-5.8 M7- 1.5 M8- 1.5 GOAL - 142.

Never waste a second chance!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views