Insurance and ' Plastics'?

rissa1224
on 12/8/16 8:56 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

I have had an arm lift done already that I took out a loan for. They were my worst disgust. I am extremely happy. Finally paid that loan off also. I can't ever take a loan like that again and I certainly don't have the cash. Budgeting isn't in the picture because I am on a strict budget to pay off 2 school loans, and to eventually buy a home. (even working 2 jobs doesn't help)

My lower blubber, panni? Needs to go. I sometimes feel itchy under the flab, and have to make sure I wash there daily, or its irritating - not horribly but annoying. I talked to my regular physician about it but he said to get powders etc. It isn't killing me. But when I work out? Lord Jesus its awful. Even my breasts  that deflated. They bounce, my flab bounces and its not comfortable. It feels like the flab and boobies will get ripped off if I do too much intense cardio. I have top flab, and lower flab. I despise all of the extra that hangs down, but mostly it makes it very uncomfortable to work out intensely. I did classes at the gym (when I had time to go) and it was awful. I do T25 at home when I have time. It hurts. Jumping any which way. Ridiculous. I try to avoid it, but I shouldn't, I need to exercise.

So, that being said. Is there anyone with a similar experience who has tried to go through their Insurance? I have not contacted my insurance yet. But this is just a thought on my mind. I know plastics are out for good since I cant afford it and I can't take another loan out, but it was a thought to see if theres anything with insurance. Or if any of you have had a similar experience.

TIA!

emelar
on 12/8/16 9:47 am - TX

Check with your insurance first.  Most exclude any surgery for "cosmetic" reasons.  You may be able to get them to cover a panni if you document skin breakdown/rashes.  Same with the boobs, although that's generally a bigger fight.  Unfortunately, your discomfort doesn't cut it with insurance.

Ariana_Rose
on 12/8/16 10:17 am, edited 12/8/16 2:33 am - NJ
VSG on 07/06/11 with

This was something I questioned before I had my lower body lift. I was told by my insurance that they would cover it but it's done by a general surgeon, not a plastic surgeon, and it only covers what is below the belly button - they also don't fix the belly buttons location in relation to where it should be. I looked at a bunch of before and afters and in my opinion it's basically a botch job - half a** way of doing things (not on your part, but on the insurance company's part. It's like they set these rules to inhibit and dissuade people from going this route). Had that been my only option, I probably would have kept my skin. That being said, my skin didnt really give me too many problems when exercising and I only had one minor yeast infection over the 3.5 years I had it, so I consider myself very lucky. Mine was done strictly for aesthetic purposes and not health reasons. I would definitely look into it if you are really uncomfortable. Nothing says you can't have a panniculectomy (sp?) now and then revise to a tummy tuck or lower body lift later. 

"Nothing great is ever achieved without much enduring." - St. Catherine of Sienna

Donna L.
on 12/8/16 10:24 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

My insurance covers a breast lift and the skin removal of the stomach, but not the tummy tuck.  What you need to do is begin to have a medical professional document your discomfort and such.  Take pictures and send them to yourself for documentation.  Be graphic about your discomfort with the medical professional.  You may wish to also take pictures and send them to yourself via email, because this puts a time-stamped documentation on it.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Donna L.
on 12/8/16 10:24 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I forgot the obvious caveat: sending pictures with potentially naked bits via email is not secure.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/8/16 1:27 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Every insurance situation is different, so what someone else has gone through may not apply to you in the slightest.

Call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card and ask about your coverage.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Oneillch
on 12/9/16 7:31 am
VSG on 02/04/15

When exercising, you may want to try some compression garments (like the ones runners wear) to help alleviate the uncomfortable "jiggle." 

Most Active