Taking the easy way out?

asapgerard1984
on 1/19/17 11:36 am

Hey guys...so a few of you know my story I was sleeved about 2 years ago....hw was 420 cw is 235 and im 5'11.  I met with my sourgon today and he went over my stomach xrays and it looks like I did strech out my stomach.  He wants to resleeve me.....but really for like 30lbs should I even bother?  He said according to my xrays looks like original doc took about 65percent of my stomach. I guess having restriction would be cool like dont get me wrong I can eat what a normal person eats but I see what other vsg ppl eat and i can eat more. So I dont know maybe I should just focus on getting to the root of my eating.  And realistacly if i stayed 230lbs for my height I look good.  My stomach is super flat from plastic surgery but I dunno I really dont want to go through surgery again since all the issues with my personal 

Rachel B.
on 1/19/17 11:41 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

What you could try to do, if you haven't already, is what I call a hard reset. 

I regained 95 pounds through bad eating.  I got my chit back together in OCTOBER and I've lost 30 pounds since.  Its about what you eat.  I've gone back to Protein, protein, PROTEIN!  And stay here and get the support you need.

This is how we do it!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Readyjwc
on 1/20/17 3:19 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

We've got your back Rachel!!!!

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

cappy11448
on 1/19/17 12:13 pm

First, Congratulations or loosing almost 200 pounds - that's fantastic -  good work.

From my perspective, I'd try maintaining my weight at the current level, or perhaps try to attain a slow loss.  No matter how big your stomach, it is the amount you eat that determines your weight gain or loss.  People with tiny stomachs often gain if they don't follow the rules and start eat junk food, or start grazing, or going back to bad habits in food choices. 

If you can maintain at your current weight, then I don't think you need surgery.  If you cannot maintain then you have to look at why.  Its not clear to me that more surgery would help - it might, or it might not.

Again congratulations on your weight loss.  Best of luck with your decision.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/17 12:31 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

Take this for what it is worth, me being a noob and all.  I've had my sleeve for three months now.  I am doing very well with it, and I am very happy I made the decision to go with it.  However, if I were to get as close as you were, and contemplate going through all that all over again, for what is essentially a small loss, I think I would pass.  But that is just me.  Costs vs benefits is what it amounts to.  Are the benefits worth the cost to you?  There is where you will find your answer.  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/19/17 12:32 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If you could out-eat one surgery, what's to stop you from out-eating another?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/17 1:40 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I was at a support group yesterday and the Program Director stated that they met with one of the surgeons and he said you can't stretch your sleeve.  Now I am confused????   There are ways to do a reset, that's what I have heard.  A newbie here so continuing to learn.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/19/17 1:46 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

The truth is that anyone can out eat any weight loss surgery.  

It's not how much you can eat -- but how much you choose to eat -- especially after the first "honeymoon" year.  

The original poster has had this issue from the start (long posting history) -- follow your guidelines, listen to the vets, and you will be fine.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/17 6:21 pm
VSG on 10/11/16
On January 19, 2017 at 9:46 PM Pacific Time, Kat W. wrote:

The truth is that anyone can out eat any weight loss surgery.  

It's not how much you can eat -- but how much you choose to eat -- especially after the first "honeymoon" year.  

The original poster has had this issue from the start (long posting history) -- follow your guidelines, listen to the vets, and you will be fine.

I see what you mean.  And I saw more than I had planned on seeing.  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/19/17 2:07 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Our sleeves mature and relax over time, so "final" capacity is a fair bit more than it is immediately after surgery. You cannot stretch out your sleeve by drinking too much or having carbonation, as some believe. Some people can eat a lot after healing and think they've stretched their stomachs, but in truth they're usually eating "slider foods" (carbs, caloric liquids, etc.) that slide right through the stomach in the way that dense protein does NOT.

There is no such thing as a reset, other than revision surgery. There's a fad diet known as the "pouch test" that has the patient go back to a liquid diet for a week, but it's not been shown to do any good.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active