Are there any VSG patients here more than 5 years post op?

asapgerard1984
on 1/25/17 5:13 pm

So I just got home from the bariatric support group in my area. Pretty cool it made me relize that if I stay at 230 I should be ok with it because seeing ppl in worst situation made me relize im not a faluire.  The doctor talked and said there is really no way around not streching your stomach but try to miniamize and with the sleeve after 2 years and more you should be at a point were healthy eating is how you keep your weight down not so much the restriction. Anyone like 5 years or more post op can you share what your eating and portion size?  Also im 2 years post op what should i be eating size wize?  thanks guys hugss!

Lipsticklady
on 1/25/17 5:44 pm
VSG on 05/14/13

I'd like to know as well.  I'm 3.5 years out and I'm still limited to 1/2 cup or 3-4 oz of firm protein.  I have a slight stricture so that keeps me honest, for sure.

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

Rachel B.
on 1/25/17 5:56 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I'm 8 years & get slimies with more than 90g chicken breast.  I eat about every 4-6 hours.  A meal for me is usually 60g lean meat and 60g quinoa or some veggies.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Lipsticklady
on 1/26/17 4:15 am
VSG on 05/14/13

I still get slimies, too.  More than one bite of rice, potato or pasta and I'm done.  Usually comes back for a visit, too.

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

Barbsleeved
on 1/26/17 12:28 pm
VSG on 08/22/14

My SIL is 5 years post op (she was one of the first people her surgeon performed the surgery on, actually), and she still has pretty decent restriction. I'd say her meal sizes are on par with what I eat at 2.5 years out which is 4-6 Oz of protein (depending on what it is) and a few bites of veg along with it. I'd say my max is 1 cup of softer stuff, but once again depending on what it is. A more 'normal' portion for me is 1/2 cup. 

I lamented to my surgeon one day about how much more I could eat than the first year. He said "Well, how much can you eat?" I told him up to 1 cup of food. He said "Can you eat 2 cups?" I'm like HELL NO! He said "Well, you're good then." 

I don't think we will ever be able to eat 2 cups of food, no matter how far out we are. Our anatomy simply won't allow it anymore. 

BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES. 

acbbrown
on 1/29/17 8:55 am - Granada Hills, CA

I can definitely eat 2 cups of food at 5.5 yrs out. Depends on what it is....but sliders, for sure. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

jo777-INgirl
on 1/27/17 6:06 pm

In April I'll be 6ys out. I'm up about 25 over where I prefer- but have been holding there with no changes for several years.. been bit pre-occupied with a lot of family stress-strife (deaths/dementia/guardianship.) So.. not really looking out for #1 for a few years :)

I still get full on 2 HB eggs in the am..  same bfast m-f every day! After 1.5 of those eggs I lose interest.. I just slowly eat the rest most of the time. Capacity for me has not changed much from about the 2 year mark- about 6oz in total weight of food, sometimes less if I go for the dense protein first. I don't feel like my sleeve has stretched much.. granted right after surgery I was eating less than 2oz, and it took me 40mins to get it down.. but healing relaxed things. My surgeon was (I believe) a very good cutter (Dr. Aceves- RIP.) If I eat junk-gunk, I may get a cup in me.. but it won't feel good, and usually I eat about 3.5oz protein, and a little veg and starch. I don'****ch fats- and prefer fattier cuts like chicken thigh & steak. Dry breast or ground beef still sits hard on my stomach.

Best advice: eat mostly whole foods- meat, fattty meat even, lots of veg, small portions of starches and limit grains, hardly ever eat processed grain foods (breads. crackers. cakes) and really rare sugar. Don't go for liquid cals.. if you eat real whole foods, you will  likely have a hard time gaining a large amount, if you go for processed foods or sugar or liquid cals, it can come back on just like pre-op. Good luck!

happyteacher
on 1/29/17 10:05 am

I am a little over 5 years out. Portion size is still small, as my restriction is still excellent. Of course, it is also very easy to eat around my sleeve. I shoot for 1200 calories a day on average, as some days are higher and some lower. Portion size, if I am eating clean continues to be 3-4 ounces dense protein, green leafy veggies, and a small amount of a side. I try not to lose my eating habits developed during the weight loss phase, and for the most part do well with that. I do have some not so great days here and there, but also put myself back in weight loss mode should me weight spike.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active