One week post op, is this normal?

Buckeyegirl76
on 2/6/17 8:00 am

For the past few days I have had pain in my sternum area, I feels like I needs to belch but I rarely do. The pain radiates around to my back. I never had heartburn or GERD prior to the surgery so I'm not sure if this is what I'm feeling. I also have a sharp pain on my left side when I take a deep breath in. I'm taking my PPI daily, meeting my fluid goals but not my protien. I've been walking, slowly, for 30-40 minutes per day. Two questions; has anyone else had this feeling? Could it still be gas pain? My surgery was last Tuesday.

Thanks in advance.

Jammur
on 2/6/17 8:05 am
VSG on 10/12/16

Sounds like gas pain from the laparoscopic surgery. Just walk, it should work itself out. If it doesn't, you need to tell your surgeon. My gas pain was horrible the first night, less the second, and then it was gone. 6 days is a long time to have that, it seems.

patchoulli
on 2/6/17 9:22 am - port charlotte, FL

My surgery was Friday, I still have the same thing.  I just started to have bowel sounds today!  I'm thrilled!  I think it's gas, sternum between shoulder blades, some little jabs and burping.  

Shawney1
on 2/6/17 10:48 am

Hi there!

I had surgery the same day as yourself, and I have the same exact pains and gurgles as you do. I'm almost certain its gas......When I walk it seems to subside more and more. 

It happens when I take deep breaths and or take a drink. If you are walking a lot and getting no relief, contact your doctor to see what may be going on. Best of luck to you!

Donna L.
on 2/6/17 8:38 pm, edited 2/6/17 12:38 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

It could be many things and there are often random pains post-op.  For any pain that you feel is strange always call your surgeon 1st.  Pain in moderate to significant amounts is typically not normal, necessarily, and it's best to check early in case.  They will be able to assess it way more than we can, because pain is really individual and we all experience things differently.  

Hang in there!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Ksmith5260
on 2/7/17 12:35 pm
VSG on 01/10/17

That is the top of your stomach.  I named my new sleeve Skinny.  You may be drinking too fast, or some don't tolerate ice - Skinny loved cold.  You may just be swollen still and your surgeon can answer that.  You'll get the same pain again if you eat too much, too quickly, or something that isn't soft enough.  Mostly I walk it off.  If I'm lucky there will be a small belch to relieve the pressure.    

Buckeyegirl76
on 2/7/17 1:00 pm

Thanks to all of you that replied to my post. Turns out I just need to stay on my pain killers a little longer. I was trying to cut back too soon and I paid the price. Got the pain under control last night and felt so much better. Today has been my best day yet since surgery, on track to hit fluid, protein and vitamin goals!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views