Non-meat protein ideas?

mndvrmtt
on 2/10/17 10:04 am - Canada

Hey all! I'm just over 7 months post-sleeve and down 105 lbs. Whoohoo! But I'm noticing meat is really a turn off lately. In fact, I get quite nauseated even looking at it. What are some high protein non-meat foods that I can use to hit my 60g protein target? I would really appreciate strictly non-animal products as even eggs are turning me off to eating. I do have a protein shake daily which gives me about 30g but I find I am falling around 45g without meat. Please help! =]

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/17 10:08 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Beans of course! You can eat them in so many ways. Refried (without oil) or just cooked in a slow cooker, or on the stove. I love white bean soup.

theAntiChick
on 2/10/17 10:19 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I was raised vegetarian for religious reasons.  While I am no longer observant, I found myself going back to some of the meat substitutes I was raised on.  I get them from Amazon, brand is Loma Linda.  I have found that the textured vegetable protein (TVP) sits very well on my sleeve even when I'm nauseated.  So it's quickly becoming my go-to, even though it grosses my family out.  LOL.

My word of caution to people who weren't raised on it... do NOT expect this stuff to taste like meat.  It doesn't (IMHO).  If you can get past that, and let it have its own flavor without expectations of a meat flavor, I think most people will find it at least palatable.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

alouisa63
on 2/11/17 5:33 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I love TVP :)  I make tacos out of it and chili.  My new favorite way is to toast it in the oven and use it on top of yogurt.

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/10/17 10:22 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I think it'll be kinda hard to get high protein items that doesn't come from animals,(other than bars/shakes) at least not many foods that will give you the restriction & satisfaction from food. 

There's a vegetarian forum, I think run by vegbeth if you're looking for more veggies & other protein sources. Try looking at the What are you eating threads, maybe you can get some more ideas there.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/10/17 10:52 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Some of the "meat substitute" products are great, maybe those might sit better? The chick'n nuggets and boca breakfast sausage are really good, though I suppose if they smell closer to meat that may be a problem.

How about adding protein powder to things like soup and yogurt? That can help give a boost in the foods you already eat. Plus, if you need to add shakes to your routine because you're not feeling up to meat, then there's no shame in that.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Donna L.
on 2/10/17 11:10 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Tofu of all sorts is versatile.  Silken tofu can be made into pies, smoothies, custards, yogurt, etc.  Tempeh is another option. So is TVP (textured vegetable protein).  Those can be made into a wide variety of meat-ish things.

Firm tofu can be scrambled, fried like meat, stir-fried, steamed.  One of my favorite summer meals is cut it into a large dice (1/2 inch pieces), add some very thinly sliced radish strips, chopped green onion, sprinkle ponzu over it, and then eat it/dip it in the ponzu. Low carb and moderate protein, and a refreshing cold meal.  Since I got my Hashimoto's diagnosis I don't eat soy more than once every 1-2 months.

Many people have issues with soy, but that's highly individual, too.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

diane S.
on 2/10/17 11:35 am

Well a tofu stir fry with veggies and every Asian seasoning you have and lime is good. Also ricotta bake with eggs and ricotta and spinach or cauliflower is great. You don't really notice the eggs since they are mixed in with the other stuff.  Cottage cheese is good and also GY mixed with a little protein powder or a cup of sf pudding is good. 

I get smoked or bbq tofu sticks sometimes that are pretty good. Beans, lentils, edamame are useful. GL Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Grim_Traveller
on 2/10/17 1:08 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I'd make you lamb.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Renren
on 2/12/17 12:09 pm
VSG on 12/02/15

I remember that from the movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding. So funny !

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Most Active