Curious about a 5k run/walk

jachristmas
on 2/16/17 4:41 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

My cousins wife is part of a group of ladies who operate a charitable organization that provides assistance to foster families. They help provide clothing, furniture, school supplies, etc. Anyway, I found out that they are having a 5k run/walk and I am very interested in trying this. I have really been wanting to push myself and experience new things, and this is on my list. But, I have no idea what to expect. I would love to try to walk it. Do you guys have any tips for me? It's not until June, so I do have some time to prepare myself. I had VSG 2 months ago and feel great. My energy is climbing and my mobility is improving so much as the weight goes down. I think this would be so much fun and a great way to include my family in a healthy activity. Thanks for any advice you have!

Readyjwc
on 2/16/17 5:01 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Just start out slow - either walk outside or on a treadmill. Keep increasing the time, then, speed, and finally, incline (if on a treadmill). If outside....make sure you walk some hills as the course for the 5K will not be all flat ground.

You have enough time so you go girl!

I have a bone spur hitting my Achilles tendon but starting PT next week. Hopefully, I'll be back to walking without pain in a bit.

-Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/17 5:14 pm, edited 2/16/17 9:45 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Good for you ... you can do it!  Agree with aforementioned but would add to make sure you have a great pair of shoes.  You probably already knew that.  Exciting, keep us posted.  

Hope P.T. helps your achilles, Jan! 

Gwen M.
on 2/16/17 7:17 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I wrote this for someone on the Exercise forum - I hope it might help you too :)  You can replace the term "run" with "walk very fast" or use whatever pace you want for walk and run.  So.. slow walk + fast walk, fast walk+slow run, fast walk+fast run.... whatever works for your current level of fitness.  

---

My #1 suggestion is "OMG DON'T DO C25K."  Seriously, it's not the best program out there.  I don't know why everyone swears by it!  It's got this really stupid week, I forget which one, where you're like "WTF?!  You want me to do WHAT?!"  

Okay, sorry for all the caps :P  

Are you running at all now?  Or is running a new thing for you?  

I think the "couch" in C25K is misleading.  I know, for me, I had to claw my way up to the couch first and only then could I start a 5K program.  I think that the initial intervals are too much for someone who is obese, and perhaps for any non-runner.  

What's your fitness level at now?  Are you able to briskly walk for 30-60 minutes without feeling out of breath or having any joint/leg issues?  If you're not, work on that first :)  If you are, yay!  This would be the progression I'd suggest:  

Week 1: walk 5-10 minutes to warm up, run 15 seconds out of every 5 minutes for a total of 30 minutes, walk 5-10 minutes to cool down.  STRETCH.  (If you don't stretch, you need to start.  Seriously.  I didn't stretch for forever and it was life changing when I started.)   Do this 3x in the week.  

Week 2: walk 5-10 minutes to warm up, run 30 seconds out of every 5 minutes for a total of 30 minutes, walk 5-10 minutes to cool down.  STRETCH. Do this 3x in the week. 

Week 3: walk 5-10 minutes to warm up, run 45 seconds out of every 5 minutes for a total of 30 minutes, walk 5-10 minutes to cool down.  STRETCH. Do this 3x in the week. 

Week 4: walk 5-10 minutes to warm up, run 60 seconds out of every 5 minutes for a total of 30 minutes, walk 5-10 minutes to cool down.  STRETCH. Do this 3x in the week. 

You can use most any running app (I like Runkeeper) to set up your intervals.  Keep increasing in this manner, adding 15 seconds of running each week.  Work up to running 4 minutes out of every 5.  If you need to repeat a week, do it.  

Once you're at the point where you're running 4 minutes and walking 1, and this feels survivable, consider an app like the Zombies Run 5k Training plan.  It's much better than C25K in terms of development and progression.  Plus it includes things like stretching and heel lifts and knee lifts that help keep things interesting.  

This probably sounds like a insanely slow progression, but, believe me, it's worth it.  The number 1 route too injury is trying to do too much too soon and that's even more so for people like us who have jacked up body mechanics due to our obesity.  You'll also need to replace your shoes more often than a normal weighted person will - I have to change mine every 200 miles to stave off shin splits.  My normal weighted friends can get away with closer to 400 miles between shoes.  

If you haven't already done so, get yourself to a speciality running store to get properly fitted for running shoes.  You might also consider seeing a podiatrist for custom orthotics, especially if you've had issues with plantar fasciitis in the past!  They're a lifesaver for me.  

I'm not trying to sound dire or like I'm warning you off running, since I'm not.  Running is amazingly awesome and races are the best feeling and the running community is the best ever :)  I think everyone should run :D  But it's so easy to totally screw yourself up and then you're out of commission healing and no body wants that.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jachristmas
on 2/17/17 4:22 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

Thank you all so much! That's just the kind of advice I was looking for. Gwen at some point I would love to try running, but at this moment walking/fast walking is the right activity for me. I've got some work to do and some lbs to drop before I would feel comfortable attempting to run. But it is on my goal list  I am seriously gonna give this 5k all I've got though! Who knows I might find a new addiction besides food.

Gwen M.
on 2/17/17 5:12 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I started running around 260 :)  For what it's worth!  But I started because I got to the point where I was walking as fast as I could and I was ready to try running.  So I don't recommend just going to running if you're not able to walk fast for an hour.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jachristmas
on 2/17/17 5:19 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

Nope, not trying to hurt myself. Just have high hopes for the future  Thanks for all the great advice.

Most Active