Any Advice??

Tapethis
on 3/16/17 12:11 pm - Vernon, NJ

I am having my sleeve surgery on 3/31!!! Any advice on what to expect for pain, feeling sick, good tips? Thank you!

MonaLyssa33
on 3/16/17 2:54 pm - Minneapolis, MN
VSG on 02/20/17

It really isn't the same for everyone, but I went in expecting to throw up at least once, but I have not (and hope not to) yet. I think the hardest thing for me was the pain from the muscles around the incisions. I've thrown out my back many times in my life and that was always the worst pain of my life, but there was one day when one of my ab muscles was spasming so much that it was rivaling the back pain as the worst. Keep in mind I only had issues with that muscle because the day before I had pushed myself too hard on my walk. So my advice is get as active as you can after surgery, but don't push yourself too far.

Highest Weight ~400, Surgery Weight 293, Current Weight 227, Goal Weight 180

Highest BMI: 59.1, Current BMI: 32, Goal BMI: 25

VSG on February 20, 2017

Tapethis
on 3/17/17 8:50 am - Vernon, NJ

Thank you! I appreciate your advice!

horrible_monster
on 3/16/17 5:21 pm
VSG on 02/27/13

I had my sleeve done about four years ago, and honestly the pain was (mostly) nowhere near what I expected. It wasn't painless, but the sweet sweet drugs kept me pretty happy for most of that immediate post-op period. There was one big exception for me, and thi**** while I was still hospitalized: referred gas pain along my shoulder/clavicle. Oh my god. THAT was the worst, possibly the worst pain I've EVER experienced.

I wrote about it at the time if you want to read a long, long-winded blog screed about How Everything Went.

Good luck! Just remember to cough, and to move around as often as you can without overdoing it. Honestly, recovery was overall considerably less harrowing than I expected. (I suppose that might be influenced by age/overall health/starting weight and whatnot, so of course everyone's mileage will vary.)

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

Readyjwc
on 3/16/17 5:47 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Congrats on your upcoming surgery! First, bring loose fitting pj bottoms and slippers so you can walk the hallways to get out the gas. Second, sip, sip, sip water all the time. Lastly, don't feel that you have to suffer with any pain - take the pain meds for a couple of days if needed. Oh - one more thing - don't forget to use a pillow against your stomach if you cough.

See you on the loser's bench!

-Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Tapethis
on 3/17/17 3:51 pm - Vernon, NJ

Thank you!

rachelp
on 3/17/17 9:43 am
VSG on 08/01/16

When I first woke up and everything hit me at once, it was a bit of a shock. That went away real quick and everything was a breeze. I never threw up, and the pain very minimal.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

anjila
on 3/17/17 8:07 pm
VSG on 03/20/17

I had my surgery (VSG) last Friday, March 10th. Everything was perfect. My entire pain level stayed at 1/2 which means I had almost no pain. My only issue was gas discomfort that rolled up to the top of my stomach every now and then, which only last a couple seconds. I only used the Morphine pump a few times after I transferred t my room, by night I wasn't using it at all. I was also on a Tylenol drip which they eventually stopped-didn't need it. Since I've been home I only took the Tylenol/codeine once and that was to helpp me sleep. So I had a wonderful experience, but, everyone is different. Ive heard others were not so fortunate.

Good Luck and try to stay positive, you'll be fine. Good Luck!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views