OT: PPI's (like prilosec)

brownblonde
on 3/20/17 3:48 pm

I'm pretty upset and I don't think anyone else (irl) will relate.

I've had reflux issues since almost day 1 post VSG. Never had it before. Always had it after. It's "controlled" with a PPI like Prilosec/omeprazole, but if I go a day or two without taking it: DISASTER. Nothing else works!

I even went to a gastro (that pcp recommended) a few months back and she recommended me take align probiotic (for urgent bathroom problems..hey, DS'ers don't get all the fun) and told me to keep taking PPI, add zantac at night until under control.

I've read some articles about negative side effects of PPI's--but they that's probably all medicines. Advantages have to outweigh disadvantages.

Ugh. So PCP wants to know what gastro recommended. I told them. They're insisting that I get a scope to make sure no bigger underlying problems. A) I feel like there's a least a little risk with a scope/colonoscopy, etc., B) hellloooooo....I think the underlying problem is I had the gastric sleeve. I explained this to PCP nurse. I told her what THEIR recommended gastro said. I told her all my side effects began after sleeve and are very consistent with the experience of other sleevers. Nope. I think it's all about the money, money, money. They want me to come in, more tests.

Bye, lady. The sell Prilosec otc. When you make me take out time from my job and copay, and potential for more tests, it's no longer advantageous for me to get the rx for the otc drug.

Does anyone else have this problem??!! Is it because I'm so far out (almost 7 years) that they no longer believe it's a side effect? I feel like if it were truly a problem, it wouldn't be sold over the counter, or gastro wouldn't have prescribed it.

happyteacher
on 3/20/17 3:59 pm

I can feel your frustration. I do think, however, that changes can occur even 7 years out. At 4 years out I developed a large hiatel hernia, which led to crazy acid. It would not have been diagnosed without a CT scan being ordered for something entirely different, then confirmed with being scoped. They fixed it and now the aid is manageable.

Regarding OTC prilosec. It is pricey compared to the prescription stuff. I had to take a higher dose and that was much cheaper than OTC, even though I could have taken a few OTC to up the dosage that way. Not sure what it would run you, but you may want to take a look at the numbers. Different pharmacies also vary widely in price.

I am so sorry you are dealing with so much acid. If it were me, I would get checked- but I have a nasty little history with cancer and such, so I am very cautious.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Gwen M.
on 3/20/17 4:10 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I also recommend getting checked. You might also want to see about revision to RNY because, yes, long term PPI use has serious risks.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mzpathdoc
on 3/20/17 4:51 pm

You can develop serious pathology from longstanding reflux, such as Barretts mucosa, a change in the normal lining. Pre-cancer (dysplasia) can occur, and even cancer. You could also have developed another problem making it worse. Your doctors are definitely looking out for you wanting additional testing. If you were my mother or sister I would advise you to at least have an upper endoscopy you really need to rule out anything more serious. Potential cancer or PPI's? It was an easy choice for me.

Grim_Traveller
on 3/20/17 5:33 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

What those above said. Long term acid issues can cause serious, life threatening problems, like cancer.

A scope has very, very little risk. Just make sure to tell them you've had VSG.

Long term PPI use also has very, very serious risks.

If there is any way to eliminate yhe acid problem without lifetime medications, I would leap at it. That would include revisipn to RNY.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

stacyrg
on 3/21/17 10:15 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Preach it, Grim

Laura in Texas
on 3/20/17 6:35 pm

I have shared my dad's story before but will share it again.

My dad was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in 2000 after years of acid reflux. He died from it in 2002. My stats are probably rusty, but here is what I remember. EC is much more prevalent in Asia. There endoscopies are done as part of their yearly physicals. Because of that, 90% of the EC there is caught at stage 0 or 1 which leads to a 90% cure rate. In ou country, 90% of our EC cases are not diagnosed until it has reached stage 3 or 4. Over 90% of people with EC here in the US die within a year. Like pancreatic cancer, most are dead within 3 months.

Please get scoped.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

brownblonde
on 3/20/17 7:20 pm

Ok. Tail between legs. I suppose I will look into. I still really think it's the obvious case but...

I'm just really frustrated with how they're handling it. The whole phonecall wreaked of "come pay us" and "you have no clue about your own health. They didn't even recall my VSG!!! Ugh

hollykim
on 3/21/17 7:08 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 21, 2017 at 2:20 AM Pacific Time, brownblonde wrote:

Ok. Tail between legs. I suppose I will look into. I still really think it's the obvious case but...

I'm just really frustrated with how they're handling it. The whole phonecall wreaked of "come pay us" and "you have no clue about your own health. They didn't even recall my VSG!!! Ugh

it likely is just the obvious. That doesn't mean that just the obvious can't cause long term problems. Part of the reason for the scope is to make sure you aren't developing life threatening problems from the obvious.

the Prilosec is a proton pump inhibitor, PPI. It shuts off the pump that makes acid in your stomach. That is why if you miss if for a day or two it is a disaster, because the pump is allowed to reactivate and start making acid again. Prilosec is not a take it when you want and be done drug. It is a take every day drug , no matter what.

brownblonde
on 3/21/17 7:28 am

I totally agree with that and that's why I was frustrated that they wanted me to try and wean off it. I only have problems when I don't take it, but they want me to stop it, despite their referred Gastro's recommendations.

I've had this problem with this pcp with my asthma medications as well. It seems they don't understand maintenance medications. I think I'm finding a new pcp.

Most Active