EGD today

LeslieWesleysyxx
on 4/26/17 3:58 pm
Revision on 03/14/18

Hello,

Some of you know I've been fighting some increased acid reflux issues. My surgeon prescribed me a medicine called Carafate to help coat my esophagus until i had the EGD. The good news is, EGD went well and it did show acid reflux as we thought, but it also showed that the Carafate is doing a good job of coating and is allowing the esophagus to heal. So the game plan now is to try the Carafate 4 times a day for 3 months and see if allows the esophagus to heal completely from the acid reflux damage. My surgeon did take a tissue sample to test just incase, but Im pretty confident that will be negative. So it looks like I wont be needing revision surgery just yet and hope this plan works out enough to get the acid reflux under control. Now if I could just get out of this 3 week stall I have been in that would be great! Thinking of trying a " reset" in a way and doing 3 days of liquids, 3 days of puree, etc to see if that will help get me out of this stall. Maybe down the road I may need revision, but Im willing to exhaust all my options first.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/26/17 7:43 pm

Great news.

From my experience - carafate can cause constipation. And since it is supposed to coat the stomach and even farther down - it may interfere with proteins, vitamins, and minerals absorbtion. Even if you take them at different times than carafate.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active