Ready, set, go on May 15th - band to VSG

Mary S.
on 5/7/17 5:36 am - Eden Prairie , MN
VSG on 05/15/17
Hi Everyone, I have been waiting for this over two years, it really feels like it's going to happen. I am scared and excited. Thanks for sharing on this site, it means so much to a newbie like me. I have had a lap band for over 10 years and I'm doing a revision to VSG. It's two surgeries in one. Has anyone had this and what do I need to know? My third day of liquids and it's going, not great, but I can do this! Tomorrow is my pre-op physical. Hope it goes well. Have a great day! Mary

Original surgery 12/5/06 - 238

VSG 5/15/17 - SW 213.5, CW 203.5, GW 140

Gwen M.
on 5/7/17 6:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Congrats! You might want to post this to the revision board and the lap band board if you haven't already - you might get some different replies there.

From everything I've read, you'll be MUCH happier :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Mary Gee
on 5/7/17 3:25 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Congratulations and best of luck to you, Mary. "Scared and excited" sounds right! Be sure to keep us posted.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

GoneGirl801
on 5/7/17 8:07 pm
VSG on 04/25/17

Congrats! Seems like a great decision for you! That pre-op liquid diet is hell!!

adistacke
on 5/8/17 8:52 am
VSG on 05/16/17

Hi Mary-

I had the band for 10 years and just had it removed in February. My surgeon won't go straight from a band removal to a sleeve so I'm having the sleeve on the 16th. Be glad your surgeon is doing both at the same time...only one pre op diet and no weight gain! I'm up 16 pounds since band removal!

Things i've heard that having the band help with is that you already know how to chew everything well and eat slow. I could never push the water glass away while eating so if you have broken that habit of no fluids with meals, then you are another step ahead. Also you have probably seen a dietitian several times (i had) and dealt with food issues. You are also familiar with restriction but i don't think you can get around this one like you could with the band.

The port site hurt quite a bit after removal...they will also pull out the stomach through that site so expect some pain. Ice packs were a lift saver! My port site always hurt off and on so not surprised i had issues there. I didn't think the gas pain was as bad as everyone says but removal and surgery will require them to be in longer so maybe more surgical gas is more gas pain? I also recommend miralax if you can't have a BM.

My surgeon also told me that my sleeve will be a little bigger than someone who never had anything done to their stomach. He makes the top a little wider to ensure he is stapling more supple tissue. He also told me not to expect huge and fast weight drops that someone without the band might have.

The pre op diet has been brutal so far...one week down! Hope you are surviving it too! When is your surgery?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 36 views