Being re-sleeved - anyone else?

Allisonw2lls
on 5/10/17 7:38 pm, edited 5/10/17 7:43 pm - CA
VSG on 06/16/17

I have had a long road with some bumps. Started out around 5 years ago with the lap band, short story is that did not go well and I had to have it all removed along with other issues that came up form the removal.I did loose around 30-40 pounds. It was either 2 or 3 years later after healing from the mess I decided to check out the sleeve. Same surgeon did the sleeve. All went really well, no complications but from the get go I could eat a lot more than what the NUT or the Dr said I would be able to eat. I lost around 50 pounds and then nada, not just a stall but no more weight loss. I work out hard, cardio and weight training with a trainer, i have a lot of muscle mass, not just fat. So i went back to the surgeon and he kind of threw his hands up in the air, i really got the feeling he just did not want to even go down any other path with me. Left feeling like I failed weight loss surgery i just kind of sucked it up and moved on. Then I decided to start reading more on the web and found a really great Dr at Cedars Sinai in BH, CA. He sent me for an upper GI. Results show I have a hiatal hernia and he said my sleeve does look a little on the larger side. So he recommended repairing the hernia and a sleeve revision. I also read my old report and the and the surgery was done with 60 bougie, but have read that this really does not matter. I am scheduled for June 9th and excited but also nervous. Anyone have a re-sleeve and how are you doing? Any responses are greatly appreciated.

White Dove
on 5/10/17 8:59 pm - Warren, OH

Here is a comparison of bougie sizes. Your old stomach held about the amount of a two-liter bottle of soda.

Check the revisions board for others getting revisions.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

White Dove
on 5/10/17 9:05 pm - Warren, OH

A sixty is larger than a 38 or 40, which is probably what your surgeon will use. Remember that the original stomach compares to a 2-liter bottle of soda in capacity, so even a 60 is much smaller than an original stomach.

This is a chart comparing bougie sizes to pens and markers.

Check the revision board for others going through revisions. Ask your surgeon how much his patients lose when he tightens their sleeve.

Allisonw2lls
on 5/11/17 11:13 am - CA
VSG on 06/16/17

Hi White Dove....

Yes, i understand the sizes but was not sure if my original sleeve being done with the 60 is the reason I can eat more than most, looking at the picture you posted if the boogie is relative to your sleeve size I would guess that it does have a play into the success, but as i noted i have read many state it does not and its only used as a guide. This ability to eat more was pretty much post op, not something I worked into and over stuffed. Obviously i still to this day cannot put away anywhere close to what I could prior to any WLS but its not 2-3 or 3-4 ozs as most claim it should have been post op and gradually working up. Curious what size the surgeon will use when he tightens. He is doing a hernia repair and tightening the sleeve at the same time.

Grim_Traveller
on 5/11/17 1:29 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Many surgeons don't use a bougie at all.

How much you eat depends on what you eat. I can eat maybe 4 or 5 ounces of chicken. But I could eat a five gallon bucket of chips or popcorn. Dense protein is really what makes the surgery work. You can eat too many of the wrong things and drink unlimited calories even if you have the smallest stomach in the world.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

White Dove
on 5/11/17 12:35 pm - Warren, OH

The restriction after surgery varies and most can eat much more than a few ounces even early out.

That is why weighing and measuring food is so important and making sure that you are not overeating.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/11/17 3:07 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

What are you eating on an average day right now? If you can post a sample menu, that will help.

If you're eating slider foods and carbs right now, a smaller sleeve won't do a darn thing to prevent that.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Allisonw2lls
on 5/11/17 3:36 pm - CA
VSG on 06/16/17

Being 100% honest, right now i am not on what you would consider the proper diet for the sleeve. After hearing from some people here i decided to give something a try since my surgery is not until June 9th. Today I started with the proper VSG diet, I ate around 4 oz of lean lunch meat type ham for breakfast, no snacks, lunch I had made a stuffed bell pepper with ground turkey, diced broccoli, garlic and seasoning with a little bit of Parmesan cheese cooked on top. I was very satisfied after both meals and realized i wanted to graze, I controlled it and did not. So being 100% honest I am going to stick to this for the few weeks and see what my results are, if I see it changes because I made some changes then I guess I can ditch the surgery. I do have a hernia but i have no symptoms or pain from it so if i decide not to re-sleeve I am thinking i can ditch the hernia repair too since i have no symptoms.
I am hoping that my results are good and it turns out this is all under my own control if I chose to use it properly because I do not want to go in for another surgery.

I will keep my progress posted (positive statement by saying progress)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/11/17 3:38 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I think that's a really smart decision. :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

OutsideMatchInside
on 5/11/17 4:05 pm
VSG on 07/15/15

Don't skip the Hernia repair. I can cause GERD which can cause damage to your esophagus. Just because you don't have symptoms now doesn't mean it won't cause issues in the future. It is not worth risking GERD and the damage it can cause if you can fix it now.

HW:370 Weight at First Consult: 365 Surgery 7/15/2015 Weight:358 CW: 187 Previous Clothing Size: 28/30 Current Clothing Size: 8/10

Most Active