Trying SO HARD to get back on track but I need help

mi75
on 5/19/17 1:57 pm
VSG on 06/01/14

I could just use some direction as far as what to be eating to get back on track. i'm around 3 years post op and have regained 25 lbs. I lost 60 total so i'm starting to feel like i'm back sliding BIG TIME.

Hubs and I both have to lose and he is willing to do any plan. we were trying Keto but I feel horrible on that and don't know if it's the best option.

I also am dealing with a couple ovarian cysts which are suspicious and having further work up done in 5 weeks. My OB/Gyn doctor is supportive of any diet that is non-inflammatory. From reading online it looks like dairy can be inflammatory as well as most grains.

I just feel super distracted with all of this, but in any case I really need to try and lose some weight and get my diet as cleaned up as possible in the next 5 weeks.

The nut at my surgeon's office is booked for 4 weeks and I just need some suggestions as far as what to be eating. I do see the bariatric surgeon in about 12 days because he wanted to talk with me about possible revision due to ongoing GERD.

I did so well post op for the first 12 months but had to change doctors twice (insurance) and feel like I have no direction now. Can anybody give me some suggestions and direction?

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/17 2:22 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Do you log everything you eat? If not, try logging every bit of food that goes in your mouth, see how many calories you take in and how many carbs. If you are getting a lot of carbs, cut them down is the best option. I think under 25 is the keto diet, but you don't have to stay at 25, you can go to 40, or even 50 depending on what you eat.

Kathy S.
on 5/19/17 2:39 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

You have already taken the hardest step by saying enough is enough and now I want to get back on track. Here are some steps I hope will help you. They helped me...

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery? How many meetings, classes and such did we attend? We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success. And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods. Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling. This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life. Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating. It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband. It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food. Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker. Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself. Make them realistic and small. Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea? I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass. So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer. I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving. If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back. So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

mi75
on 5/19/17 2:56 pm
VSG on 06/01/14

thank you both, very helpful suggestions.

I am just spinning my wheels because I feel like TIME is of the essence...and there is a panic in the back of my mind that if I don't get it together very quickly, i'll only have myself to blame if I go back to the Ob/Gyn next month and face a terrible diagnosis.

I believe that the support group for my new surgeon meets the first week of the month but there are a few others within a decent driving distance so i'll search those.

Gwen M.
on 5/19/17 4:42 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

If you don't already, start tracking every single thing you put into your mouth using something like MyFitnessPal.

From there, work on getting back to your basics. High protein, low carb, lots of non-caloric liquids.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active