Stopping In After A Long Time Being Away

Italian-Princess
on 7/2/17 1:23 pm - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Hi Everyone!

It's been a long time since I've been to this site. I miss everyone and wonder how many of us "old timers" are still around.

As my 70th birthday approaches (end of this month), I have been trying to reconnect with people. Actually, the process started with my 50th High School Reunion where I found some old acquaintances. Five of us have become best Gal Pals and we now take a trip each year to celebrate our "new-old friendships." And it continued when I found 2 long lost cousins on Facebook. Connecting/Reconnecting -- so important to our lives.

The saga continues with the new-fangled innards after my esophageal cancer -- all the repurposed/spare parts are working well. As have a lot of us, I've had some regain, but I'm alive and that's primo for me. I work at continuing to lose with less vigor than before, but being lighter still feels wonderful!

I'm 5 years out now and am doing everything I ever wanted to do. I just returned from a cruise to the South Pacific -- 33 days at sea. What an adventure! The last few years I have cruised to Hawaii, Bermuda, most of the Caribbean Islands, Alaska, the South Pacific, and next is a cruise that includes a stop in Havana. I've taken up snorkeling -- not very good at it, but it's fun and while I don't have a prescription mask, I can see fairly well all the beautiful colors and fish and other sea life that roams around the coral and rocks and seaweed. The water magnifies, so even those of us with less than perfect vision can see a lot.

These days, I'm looking forward to having my younger son and his family move back near where I live. My two grandsons, 4 years and 10 months old, will keep me busy. I've been promised the chance to babysit often!

That's all for now..........just felt the need to check in to see if any of my old friends are still around. And, of course, to say hello to the new folks..........I wish you the best in your endeavors with your sleeve. Mine, her name is Myrtle, still works wonderfully well. Lots of restriction and when I treat her right, she treats me right!

Best to all,

Ree

5' 1.5" Tall.............69 years YOUNG!!!! Esophageal cancer survivor.

Gwen M.
on 7/2/17 5:53 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome back!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

happyteacher
on 7/2/17 8:12 pm

Great to see you again! Love to read that you are doing well and having fun!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/17 10:32 am
VSG on 03/28/17

Thank you for checking in! Esophageal cancer is one of my biggest fears - do you think yours was a result of your WLS?

Italian-Princess
on 7/5/17 11:34 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Hi Mahonia,

No, my esophageal cancer had nothing to do with my sleeve. Back in 2006, I had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy. My gastro guy told me he found lesions in my esophagus which were likely caused by serious GERDS. He prescribed omeprazole and that took care of any heartburn.....never once felt heartburn after I started using the medication. He also told me that the lesions could become cancerous at some point in the future, but that omeprazole was the best thing he could do for me at that time. Lo and behold, in 2013, almost exactly one year after I had my VSG, the results came in from another endoscopy and the biopsy showed cancer.

Immediately, my VSG surgeon contacted his favorite Medical Oncologist -- he saw me the following day and that was the beginning of my survivorship of esophageal cancer. I am incredibly lucky to have had the very best medical team anyone has ever put together. The Kellogg Cancer Center in Evanston, Illinois has two extremely talented surgeons *****moved my entire esophagus and built me a new one out of some of my "spare parts" LOL

I wouldn't fear getting esophageal cancer from your surgery. What I strongly suggest is that once you reach age 50 or so, get those two tests. They are done at the same time, you are put into a "twilight" sleep where you will remember nothing of the procedures, and recovery is only a few hours of rest at home. It's worth the reassurance that nothing is wonky in your system.

Best of luck with your journey -- life is wonderful being a little lighter!

Ree

5' 1.5" Tall.............69 years YOUNG!!!! Esophageal cancer survivor.

Kathy S.
on 7/6/17 12:51 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Image result for welcome back gif

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views