another liver enzyme story

adistacke
on 7/10/17 2:22 pm
VSG on 05/16/17

Hello-

I did a search and read the many stories about elevated liver enzymes but most are from several years ago so wanted to see if anyone else has had that issue? My AST is in the 200s while my ALT is in the 600s. So far, I've had an ultrasound and MRI which has shown mild fatty liver. I have lost 55 pounds in almost 2 months which i know is super fast. No one will say that it is the weight loss cause my enzymes are too high...they claim they have only seen mild elevations after surgery. One thought was it might be the zofran/compazine so i stopped that for a week and retested with no improvement. Now they are thinking it might be the protonix (PPI started before surgery) and was taking it twice a day when i started eating food per the surgeon suggestion but isn't a recommended dose. I had my MRI today which made me happy to see that the fatty liver was mild and i know will improve as a i continue to lose weight and stabilize. I have repeat labs on Thursday and will take any positive thoughts or prayers to see an improvement! I have been scared to death the last few weeks but am feeling more positive this had to be medication/surgery related. If there isn't an improvement in my labs, they want to biopsy to rule out autoimmune hepatitis which I sure hope i don't have (also hoping i won't need the biopsy). Love to hear from others who have experienced this and what was the outcome.

Thanks!

Kathy S.
on 7/10/17 2:58 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi adistacke,

I am 13 years out and still have elevated liver enzymes. I eat very healthy and they never hit normal zone. But as you can see they are not super hi and came down after my surgery. I weight 130 now and maintained for years 118-125 and still they stayed high and my liver was fatty. My surgeon said not to worry about it so I don't.

Did they say why they want to do all this now and not wait to see how it levels out when you hit goal?

My last lab test -

AST 45 U/L 0 - 37 U/L H
ALT 67 U/L 0 - 60 U/L H

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

adistacke
on 7/11/17 12:43 pm
VSG on 05/16/17

yes they are trying to get a diagnosis...no one will say they are this high because of losing 50 pounds in a few months with the combination of the fatty liver but personally i think that is the case.

Sorry you are still having issues but sounds like you did great with your goal!

Kathy S.
on 7/11/17 3:09 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Keep me posted and while mine are high we are not to concerned.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

rocky513
on 7/10/17 5:01 pm - WI

It's fairly common to have elevated liver enzymes during rapid weight loss. Your liver is working super hard to get rid of all that fat. It usually levels out when you get closer to goal.

Make sure you go easy on medications with Tylenol in them. They are hard on the liver. Also refrain from drinking alcohol.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

SassyGirlTN
on 7/12/17 7:33 am

I'm glad I found this post! I'm pre-op, and I've just lost in the 15-20 lbs range. My liver enzymes are elevated (doc didn't tell me exact numbers) and I've had an ultrasound. According to doc, the ultrasound looked normal but I'm concerned about the elevated numbers. Do you think I should push for an MRI?

HW 293 CW 275 GW 175

Start of liquid diet: 275.4

Surgery date - 2.13.18!!!

adistacke
on 7/12/17 1:25 pm
VSG on 05/16/17

We only did the MRI to rule out gallbladder although it was nice to know I didn't have anything else going on so I wouldn't worry about it.

Sorry to hear you are having problems to and hope it is weight related and resolves soon!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views