Fairly "Large" Appetite 3 Months Post Op

fattofitchick
on 7/19/17 6:58 pm, edited 7/20/17 6:34 pm
VSG on 04/20/17

Hello Everyone,

I have noticed that the 1st month was a breeze to be expected, second month was so-so, but coming up on my three months I find that I can eat alot more than I should, and that I'm often hungry.

This sounds silly but did I already stretch out my sleeve? I'm just surprised I'm dealing with this issue this early on. I know I still as a whole eat less than before, but I'm just so surprised how much food I can fit into my stomach already. Any tips on feeling fuller faster, maybe I'm eating too quickly?

Edit: To be honest, when I started being more active is when I started having this problem. I am going to measure out my foods from now on, but even at that I will say I feel genuine hunger. Water nor a protein shake doesn't satisfy it. Sometimes it's head hunger, which I am getting. Ether about controlling. Should I try a pouch reset? Ugh.

Surgery Date: 4/20/17 HW: 322 SW: 308 CW: 221.6 GW: 150

My personal WLS blog and wls-friendly recipes: www.fattofitchick.com

(deactivated member)
on 7/19/17 7:20 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

I had surgery three weeks before you and have been having a difficult time with wanting to eat as well. It's not physical hunger for me, just a feeling that I WANT and DESERVE food. It's a battle everyday and one that I will probably be fighting for the rest of my life. I was also surprised by how soon after surgery the "head hunger" started. As far as how much you can eat...what are you eating and how much in ounces? I can eat a lot more yogurt and fish than chicken and beef. What you eat determines how soon you feel full. Most successful people here talk about never eating until full, but I have yet to master that skill.

Cathy H.
on 7/19/17 7:22 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

How much are you eating that you are worrying about it? At 3 months, I was able to eat about 3-4oz per meal. But a lot depends on WHAT you are eating. If you can give us an example of what you eat in a day, we can answer your questions a little better.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

(deactivated member)
on 7/19/17 9:40 pm

I agree with the lady above, there is not much info in your original post , are you eating the amounts you are told to eat ,and what you are supposed to eat? or are you testing your pouch by eating more?

" Are you eating to quickly" You have not said how fast you eat or how long it takes you to eat?

How much are you actually eating each day, would be helpful to know.

Erin T.
on 7/20/17 3:55 am, edited 7/19/17 8:56 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

For some of us, the hunger goes away, for others not so much. In my case, I still feel plenty of hunger and plenty of head hunger. The whole "forgot to eat" thing for me only lasted about 10-12 weeks and then I was anticipating meals again.

In my case I know it's head hunger because if I have a day where I'm very active, I don't notice hunger at all. I struggle a lot with the fact that my job is sedentary and my brain wants me to chow down while I'm at work.

My answer has to been to white knuckle it and tell my body to f-off. I don't eat what I haven't planned to eat, period. I don't eat when it's not time to eat, period. I drink a lot of water and I have several no calorie drinks that are my go-to if I feel like eating (I will have a Diet Soda every now and then, I like decaf coffee daily and I drink Bai 5 calorie drinks.

I have not personally tested my restriction. I eat 2-2.5oz of dense protein per meal (or a yogurt/one egg), plus I can now add 1oz of veggies if I'm feeling like it. I have never really felt fullness, but that's totally normal.

I'd say it's important that you start eating measured portions if you aren't and not testing your limits, as you're just training yourself to eat more and that's not good only 3 months out!

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/20/17 5:31 am

Too much stomach acid can mimic real hunger, same as thirst. Often when I am just thirsty - the "hunger" would ho away when i drink 8-16 oz of liquid.

Some artificial sweeteners can stimulate appetite. I know I can have some splenda, but not a lot. Aspartame - even small amount of that not only can give me headache, but may make me feel like I am starving, app 1-2 hours after I had a drink with that (soda, crystal light).

Having too many carbs, even good carbs (dairy) may start a cycle that makes me want "to eat and eat and eat some more".

If you are eating normal for a 3 month post op portion - and feel it is not enough - check if you can see if something triggered that.

Recognize the pattern.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Gwen M.
on 7/20/17 5:36 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You did not already stretch your sleeve.

You really shouldn't experiment to find out how much you can eat - just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It's really important to weigh out your food and then only eat what you've weighed. Portion creep can occur all too easily. Full should never be your goal.

At three months, your stomach is fully healed and more spacious because all of the swelling has gone down. This is a normal part of the healing process and nothing to worry about.

Stick to dense protein and healthy fats. These things will help you feel sated longer. Make sure you're getting in fluids. 64 ounces minimum, 96 ounces is better.

For me, I've had a few times post-op where my hunger has been out of control. What helps me is to take a PPI for a "course" which I think is 14 days? (I use Nexium.) And that takes care of the issue. I've had to do this 2-3 times in the last 3.5 years.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Gwen M.
on 7/20/17 5:39 am
VSG on 03/13/14

And, yes, figure out if this is actually hunger. If it is, it'll go away if you eat 4 ounces of chicken breast. If it's not, then it's not actually hunger and it's your brain playing tricks on you :)

Also, I like the motto of "hunger is not an emergency." Sure, I feel hungry and, like Erin, I tell my hunger to **** off :P You don't have to do anything about it.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

fattofitchick
on 7/20/17 7:39 pm
VSG on 04/20/17

Hm, I will try that! I haven't felt any acidic response, but lately I feel that I just don't have as good of a grasp of my hunger. Maybe it is acid.

Im assuming nexium is OTC?

Surgery Date: 4/20/17 HW: 322 SW: 308 CW: 221.6 GW: 150

My personal WLS blog and wls-friendly recipes: www.fattofitchick.com

Valerie G.
on 7/20/17 9:22 am, edited 7/20/17 2:22 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

LOL - it takes years to stretch out your sleeve (and you will), but it will never be stretched to the size of your original stomach. After 12 years, I think my sleeve holds probably 8-10oz. You're probably able to eat more because the inflammation has subsided now, so you're working with a healed stomach instead of a swollen one.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active