Patch MD results after about 2 years of use

happyteacher
on 8/3/17 2:07 pm

The Patch multivitamin with iron is a relative new kid on the block. I started using them a while back, and within 6 weeks my labs were all within normal ranges except my D3 being just slightly low. Fast forward a few years- I skipped my labs last year and was way over due. I also have been very inconsistent with wearing the patch, averaging 3-4 times per week now.

My labs just came in great! My D3 is just a shade low still, but everything else is in range. Prior to using the Patch I was anemic and no amount of supplemeting seemed to help. Cholesterol is also normal- I went through a cholesterol spike after surgery so I thought I would mention that. Only caveat is that after having my gallbladder out a while back I don't stomach fat well so eliminated a huge amount of it out of the diet.

Also of interest potentially is that my doc said that although there is not a lot of research on the Patch as far as effectiveness, from what she was seeing the folks using it were getting consistently good lab results.

They are a tiny bit pricey, but at least for me they work awesome and I love not having to take a pill! There are always codes that will get you 30%-40% off. The patch to help with sleep also seem to work quite well for me, although I only use them occasionally.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

missc_26
on 8/3/17 6:14 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Thanks for sharing your experience with them l. I'm not sure if you can get them in my country but I would like to ask my surgeon

hollykim
on 8/4/17 7:49 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

www.patchmd.com

jenorama
on 8/3/17 7:16 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Okay, I have a question about the patch. I know with iron, you can't take it within 2 hrs or tea or coffee and I'm also on a medication right now that has to be separated by 2 hrs from iron. How does that sort of interaction work with the patch which will be worn for several hours? I'm hoping to be off of this medication soon because managing the timing of it is a pain in the ass and I need to get my iron up. Do you have any insight into this sort of thing or do you have information you can refer me to?

Thanks!

Jen

hollykim
on 8/4/17 7:52 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 4, 2017 at 2:16 AM Pacific Time, jenorama wrote:

Okay, I have a question about the patch. I know with iron, you can't take it within 2 hrs or tea or coffee and I'm also on a medication right now that has to be separated by 2 hrs from iron. How does that sort of interaction work with the patch which will be worn for several hours? I'm hoping to be off of this medication soon because managing the timing of it is a pain in the ass and I need to get my iron up. Do you have any insight into this sort of thing or do you have information you can refer me to?

Thanks!

Jen

timing doesn't matter with patches cause the vitamin on each patch is entering your bloodstream only through the area where the patch is applied. Multiple patches can be applied through multiple areas without interacting with each other.

I use 4 different patches every day.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/4/17 9:27 am

What HollyKim said. Try to rotate the placement of the patches.

As with anything- use common sense. Don't put poach in a broken- inflamed skin. Put a patch on skin that has good circulation. Don't put lotion-oils then apply the patch. As you sweat - the skin is oozing liquids out - do absorbtion may be compromized - when I was in vacation on a cruise - I put my patches on in evening - so the vit/minerals could be absorbed during the night and morning. During the day we were out, in the heat so most likely my body was not absorbing much. If you used moisturizing shower gel - most likely it has oils in it - use some rubbing alcohol to clean the area were you plan to apply the patch. On dry skin. If you sweat after shower - wait.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

happyteacher
on 8/4/17 5:09 pm

Honestly, I have never heard about no iron 2 hours from coffee or tea. If that is a rule, I have broken it every day since surgery. I do know there is a 2 hour window from calcium. There is also a calcium with vitamin D patch also, and I try to remember to use that one at night. I have not been using that one in a while though, hence the low D.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

jenorama
on 8/4/17 5:12 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I understand the tannins in the coffee and tea are what blocks the iron absorption. This is a thing I just found out recently myself. I think I'm going to have to give the iron patches a try. I'm feeling all right, but I need to turn this downward trend around and most people seem to get good results from it. :D

Jen

happyteacher
on 8/4/17 5:20 pm

It does seem to work especially well for those of us with low iron. Like mentioned, I was anemic despite taking supplements. This worked though and even seems to tolerate my forgetting to put it on a few times a week. I do eat mindfully though most of the time to help ensure nutrition is good.

Kathy S.
on 8/7/17 12:31 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Here are the rules for taking iron that has helped me.....

1. Do not take calcium supplements or vitamins containing calcium within 2 hours either side of taking iron. Calcium and iron bind together and leave the body with no benefit of either.

2. Take only liquid iron and take it with a little orange juice or a chewable vitamin C?.iron needs acid to absorb. Liquid isn?t as constipating as pills, but if it?s a problem, increase fiber during the day.

3. NO coffee or tea (herbal is ok) within 2 hours either side of taking iron. It?s not the caffeine; it?s the tannic acid that inhibits iron absorption.

4. NO soy products within 2 hours either side of taking iron.

5. Very important?..NO dairy within 2 hours either side of taking iron. That includes butter, milk, cream, cream cheese, ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese?..NO DAIRY.

6. Try not to eat foods that are high in calcium or calcium supplemented when eating iron rich foods. IE?..don?t have butter and sour cream on a baked potato when you have that steak J

7. Cook as much as you can in cast iron.

Some iron rich foods include:

· Red meat

· Egg yolks

· Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)

· Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)

· Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)

· Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)

· Turkey or chicken giblets

· Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans

· Liver

· Artichokes Some calcium rich foods include:

· Cheese

· Yogurt

· Milk

· Sardines

· Dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, turnips and collard greens

· Fortified cereals

· Fortified orange juice