One month out from my revision ( lap band to VSG)

Doriam R.
on 8/9/17 7:09 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

Hi Guys,

Wanted to share no loss during the last two weeks, even though I have not eaten more than 800 calories... so very sad.. is the time of the month right now, so I am hoping is some water retention...

My allergic reaction is finally gone (all the blood test for whey and milk came back negative) ... I have to reintroduce the shakes beause I am not hitting my protein target.

So my suregeon today and he said NOTHING can be done about my dilated esophagus .... so I will feel no restriction... He still wants me to stay on liquids and mushy food and eat only 1/2 cup of food 6 times a day, stay on 800 calories, no more than 60grams of carbs, and 70 grams of protein.

All of this with no help from the VSG that costed me $13,000... (I am not rich, this was a big effort for my family)

I have heard of the 3rd week stall so I am really hoping my weight loss picks up again.

I am recording my food in Baritastic, and I am going to the gym to walk everyday I can walk faster and with a steeper incline.

I need to NOT lose hope that I can do this, there is nothing I can do about the esophagus problem but there is something I can do with my food, my water and my activity level everyday.

Thanks so much for listening to all my whining... thank you for all your support!!

I knew my weight loss would be slow because my BMI is not so high... but I still want to see the scale MOVING DOWN...

missc_26
on 8/10/17 2:46 am
VSG on 10/03/16

Hi there

Sounds challenging with the esophagus issue. It's not unusual to not lose weight in the first few weeks post surgery, I know my body held on to water (i could barely pee) and generally felt bloated for like a month. Your body has gone thru a major surgery please be kind to yourself as you recover.

You seem to have a handle on what you need to do to keep on track so I really believe in time it will kick start the weight loss. Keep up your vitamins and I hope to see an update in a month

Positive vibes your way!

Doriam R.
on 8/10/17 6:31 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

Thank you!!

CC C.
on 8/10/17 7:25 am

I didn't feel much restriction from mushy foods. Maybe when you get to solid lean protein you'll feel that more? Hope you do!

jfaggiano1
on 8/10/17 7:53 am
VSG on 08/23/17

Did you and your surgeon remove your band and do the sleeve procedure in one operation? I am scheduled in 12 days for that

Doriam R.
on 8/10/17 9:52 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

Yes we did! My recommendation to anyone doing a revision from lap band to any other WLS is Please check the motility and the general health of your esophagus!!!!

please do that before you make any decisions. If you have a dilated esophagus the benefits of the sleeve are not noticeable and the problem is mostly permanent.

Not everyone has that problem but it can happen and I did not know about until after my sleeve was done and my money was gone... I wish your esophagus is in great shape!!!!!

keep me posted!!

Gwen M.
on 8/10/17 10:07 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You will still gain the metabolic benefit of the VSG, so that's not something to discount.

Since you're certain you won't get any other benefit from the VSG at this point, I feel like this means it's even more important for you to get to work on the ultimate causes of your obesity. Our stomachs aren't what made most of us obese after all - the ultimate cause is most often in our brains.

If you're not already seeing a therapist, please find one. If you can find one who specializes in disordered eating or weight-related problems, that's great, but a good therapist who doesn't specialize in these things will still help. Use this time to figure out what the causes of your obesity were and figure out how to address those things.

I'm sorry that your band caused irrevocable damage to your body and that your surgeon sold you on a second surgery that wasn't beneficial to you. You can still make weight loss work if you figure out what's going on in your brain and how to fix that.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 8/10/17 11:47 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

So sorry that the lapband caused irrevocable damage. I just wanted to mention that I was only eating 300-400 calories at one month out and didn't reach 800 until about 5 months out. The number of calories will affect your rate of loss.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

mmsmom
on 8/10/17 12:38 pm - Woburn, MA

Good luck, I hope things get better for you. I had revision from lapband to sleeve - although I had two separate surgeries. It was the best thing I ever did for myself and I LOVE the sleeve 1000X more than the band.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Most Active