Paleo, weight lifting, heavy lifting

mi75
on 8/11/17 7:13 pm
VSG on 06/01/14

Hi all, I'm still struggling with weight regain post surgery. Tried Keto, got pretty yucky feeling from dumping. Tried shake reset, had gut issues ??lactose intolerance (and even with using Fairlife milk) and vomiting. Didn't bother to try the lactose free milk after several days of this.........

Now i'm considering trying Paleo and starting some sort of weight lifting/bodybuilding regimen. I have access to a very successful trainer and she really knows her stuff. I am 4 years out and don't really want to approach a 'bariatric' type diet because, frankly, I eat everything and have no issues with anything and don't really care to live on shakes againl

I'm well aware that Paleo includes a lot of plants, but I eat every couple hours so this shouldn't be an issue. I also love the idea that it's a lot of healthy fats, appropriate carbs, etc.

Wondering if anybody here has switched over to Paleo AND if anybody has insight to lifting? Success, etc???

Thanks

hollykim
on 8/11/17 7:20 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 12, 2017 at 2:13 AM Pacific Time, mi75 wrote:

Hi all, I'm still struggling with weight regain post surgery. Tried Keto, got pretty yucky feeling from dumping. Tried shake reset, had gut issues ??lactose intolerance (and even with using Fairlife milk) and vomiting. Didn't bother to try the lactose free milk after several days of this.........

Now i'm considering trying Paleo and starting some sort of weight lifting/bodybuilding regimen. I have access to a very successful trainer and she really knows her stuff. I am 4 years out and don't really want to approach a 'bariatric' type diet because, frankly, I eat everything and have no issues with anything and don't really care to live on shakes againl

I'm well aware that Paleo includes a lot of plants, but I eat every couple hours so this shouldn't be an issue. I also love the idea that it's a lot of healthy fats, appropriate carbs, etc.

Wondering if anybody here has switched over to Paleo AND if anybody has insight to lifting? Success, etc???

Thanks

" I eat everything...". Frankly, this is why you are gaining weight. No exercise program is going to overcome a poor diet.

Grim_Traveller
on 8/12/17 2:05 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Heavy lifting is great. Have at it. But very, very, very few people ever commit to such a regimen long term. And it will not help with regain. All of that work has to be addressed with food.

I'm not sure what you mean by bariatric diet, but it does not include shakes.

Stop eating everything. Of course you are gaining. A proper WLS diet is dense protein first, followed by a small serving of non starchy veggie. That's really it. If you can do that, you will lose your regain. If you keep chasing diet plans, you are going to have a hard time.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Doriam R.
on 8/12/17 6:27 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

I so admire your clean food, you, Gwen, Kathy, Erin, are so amazing!!! I have been overweight ALL my life except for the brief moments when a diet had worked and I somehow reach my goal... I have done Weigh****chers, Jenny craig, Nutrasystem, doctor supervised diets, hormone injections, some shakes diet I dont remember the name... Food addicts, OA, Running and exercising... OMG SOOOO many diets, no wonder my metabolism is so damage.... and here I am I even got a LAP Band (I was also successful for a while...) I always go back to gaining wight WHY???? bacause I am a food addict, because I USE food, like any other people use drugs... here I am with some permanent damage from the band and a new Sleeve that gives me no restriction... I recently ended up in ICU with aspiration Neumonia and hypoxia that gave me a small heart attack...(which promted the band removal and the sleeve surgery)... this is so crazy.. I can not believe all the crap I put myself into because of FOOD....

YES there is no magic pill for me there is no magic solution,

Thank you for being a role model for me!!!

Erin T.
on 8/12/17 2:20 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

We all ate ourselves into our situations as well, and I rarely even notice my restriction at this point. I weigh and measure everything and I don't eat unless I have it planned. Period. You can still do that.

Also; you aren't even on dense proteins yet, so saying you don't have restriction is somewhat misguided I'd say. A large number of people don't feel restriction on purees. You need to be eating measured portions because regardless of your situation your stomach is healing and it can be deadly to eat too much at first.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Doriam R.
on 8/12/17 3:07 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

My surgeon told me to eat 1/2 cup 6 times a day... 800 cal less than 60 grams of carbohydrates 70 grams protein...

what do you think?

ohhhbother
on 8/13/17 4:18 pm

Hello. This is my first post here. I've just begun the process of getting approved for surgery. So I don't have any insight on surgery, diet, etc.

I can, however, speak to the benefits of heavy lifting. I am a 45-year-old woman and a competitive powerlifter. I love lifting heavy. I train three days a week, and it's done incredible things for my health. I know I'm stronger going into surgery and recovery because of my muscle mass.

I strongly encourage any woman to consider powerlifting. Squat, bench and deadlift are movements that emphasize functional strength. I can deadlift 300 pounds in the gym -- hauling around a 50-pound suitcase is no problem, for instance. :-)

Im excited to have surgery and then get back to lifting (as soon as I'm medically cleared). It will be nice to get rid of the weight I don't want so I can focus on the weight on the bar!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 8/14/17 8:41 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Give it a whirl. I used to work out 5 days a week preop and was actually pretty strong.

Now? I rarely go into the gym to lift weights... Since losing my weight (down 138 pounds to 177) my strength is completely gone from where I was.

My 300 lb bench for two reps is now 135 pounds for 4-5. My 45 or 50lb dumbbell curls are 25-30 at most. It just bums me out.

You can lift. Try it. Maybe you'll enjoy it. Now I enjoy running more than lifting.

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Doriam R.
on 8/14/17 2:26 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

Your Stats are amazing!!! Congratulations!!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/17 2:48 pm
VSG on 12/28/16

Honestly you need to be honest with yourself. You keep reaching out for help here yet you say you don't want to follow any 'bariatric type' diet. You might think about therapy for food issues. Bouncing around different eating plans isn't a good path to success. Lifting weights may or may not make you feel better but it won't help with long term loss unless you change your eating habits. I don't know what you're talking about with shakes and milk because those aren't on any weight loss plan that I've been on - and, trust me, I've been on them all pre-surgery. I don't say this to judge you. Lots of folks here fall off the wagon and have to start again. You probably know how you lost the weight after surgery. Why don't you want to do that again?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views