Thinking I am dealing with hiatel hernia #3. Ugh.

happyteacher
on 9/4/17 2:52 pm

Going into surgery the surgeon said he would fix a hernia if he found it- he did. 4 years or so later couldn't keep food down and terrible acid, and out came the gallbladder and a very large hiatel hernia repaired. No tissue left to work with warned the surgeon. I am back to struggling a bit with food and acid issues- really feeling like it might be hiatel hernia number 3. Doc said to tighten up the diet to ensure it is not being triggered by higher fat or acid triggering foods... been pretty darn good for about 1.5 weeks and it only seems worse. Ugh. Are there others out there that can't seem to stop the hiatel hernia thing?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

diane S.
on 9/4/17 6:03 pm

my husband did not show one at the time of surgery but it showed up 6 months later after lots of weight loss. Surgeon says he is seeing more of this and thinks fat sort of hold things in place. Hubby still has some reflux. We got one of those fancy beds where he can raise his head. Even got the doctor to write a prescription for it though he rolled his eyes! Get more pillows or a wedge to help. GL Diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

happyteacher
on 9/5/17 5:35 pm

I could see the fat not being around for the second one, but doggoneit seems like by now my system would be adjusted to me not being super fat!! I am elevating at night and taking full on prescription doses to help control it. Hoping it doesn't get worse.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

diane S.
on 9/5/17 8:42 pm

hope so too. hang in there. my sil has had so many hernias I have lost count. She is obese and does not take care of health. You can't go wrong taking care of weight and diet which you are doing. gl diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CC C.
on 9/4/17 6:38 pm

My surgeon said he didn't think I had one until they pulled out a tube and my stomach rose up and through my diaphragm with it. So he fixed it. A month later I had a kidney stone and the notes for the CT scan I had said I still have a visible hiatal hernia. The surgeon doesn't believe that a CT scan could diagnose a hernia, but all I know is I have wicked GERD I didn't have before my VSG. I go see him again at the end if the month, so we'll have the GERD/hernia discussion again then.

happyteacher
on 9/5/17 5:37 pm

My surgeon said the same thing... a CT was ordered for abdominal pain not explained by my messed up gallbladder. That caught the large hiatel hernia, surgeon said it was likely wrong. Since I was getting the gallbladder out he wanted a upper gi. That confirmed it. Make your doc order an upper gi if he doesn't believe the CT.

happyteacher
on 9/5/17 5:39 pm

Just noticed you are also in Michigan. I went through Beaumont, Dr. Chengalis. He can fix a second hiatel if it ends up being that.

CC C.
on 9/5/17 6:41 pm

Thanks so much for the info! I'll talk to my doctor about an upper Gi. I'm a fair weather Michiganian, only here from May through September (I'm not brave enough for the winters!). My surgeon is in CA...

Grim_Traveller
on 9/5/17 10:22 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I can't add anything, but I hope you get it straightened out.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Nmmsg
on 9/15/17 4:55 am
VSG on 07/09/13

I had a repair in January. I had a diverticulum at the top of the sleeve and was insurgery for that repair. The dr said that I had three hiatal hernias and repaired them. He was not aware that I even had any hernia problem til he went to repair the diverticulum. It was a really painful recovery. The Original VSG was nothing compared to that.

I have not had any problem since and do not need any meds at this time. I am hopeful this will hold. It worries me that I see you have had this problem several times. Best wishes.

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

Most Active