Feeling discouraged and worried

dmcs85
on 9/8/17 12:00 pm

O.k. so I am still on liquids and hanging in there. I start purees Monday. Well I have found the wonderful world of youtube to pass my time. It's been very discouraging watching some of the videos. Folks saying the surgery didn't work for them, or they have regained. I am just worried that I'll be one of the ones it didn't work for. I am following my teams guidelines. I guess that maybe everyone has these doubts? I mean I have been overweight my whole life and just can't imagine being a thinner me like all the before and after photos I see. Seems to good to be true. Plus I have bad luck...so why would the VSG take?? Going to keep to plan and hope for the best. Sorry for the venting!!

Fredbear
on 9/8/17 12:13 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

Barring a horrible surgical mishap/complication or some really strange anatomical problems, VSGs don't fail. Patients fail... to follow their program.

I strongly encourage you to seek out psychological help if you can't seem to not dwell on failure. It can only help!

In the meantime: sip, sip, sip, walk, walk, walk, and enjoy your new life. Don't let your inner Debbie Downer **** in your ear.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

dmcs85
on 9/8/17 12:36 pm

Thank you :-)

makes sense my name is Debbie..LOL

Gwen M.
on 9/8/17 12:19 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I recommend that you stop watching those videos.

If you follow the rules, you'll reach your goal. Focus, be vigilant. You can do it. People regain for a reason - eating more than their body needs. If you don't do that, you'll be fine. Commit to this being a lifetime change, get your brain sorted out through therapy, and it'll all work out.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Cathy H.
on 9/8/17 12:32 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

VSG is just a tool; all it does is restrict how much you can eat. If a person decides they aren't going to make the permanent, lifelong changes that are required to use that tool to it's fullest, then they failed the VSG, not the other way around.

People who fail their VSGs are those that decide it's still okay to have just a little donut, or just a small piece of pie, or a few chips and salsa, and hey a milkshake goes down so easy. They fall right back into their old bad eating habits, and then blame the surgery for their failure. Why go through major surgery and make a permanent change to your body, if you're not willing to do what is necessary to be a success?

If you want this surgery to work for you, then you have to do the work required to make it happen. Changing your mindset and committing to never eating any of those bad foods again is the only way.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

dmcs85
on 9/8/17 12:38 pm

You all are the best at talking me down! Thanks again for your wise words :-)

CC C.
on 9/8/17 1:53 pm

Some people are always the victims, blaming everything but themselves, rather than considering what role they played in a bad outcome. The most vocal of those people use YouTube to complain about how surgery failed them. I'm not anti-YouTube VSG vloggers, but I would suggest ignoring those playing the blame game and focusing on the ones who talk about the hard work they had to do to make surgery work for them.

dmcs85
on 9/8/17 3:50 pm

Amen!

Agran
on 9/8/17 3:49 pm

I have watched many of those bloggers. Quickly realized, if you listen closely, that the negative ones have been eating many things that they shouldn't. There are so many dabulous ones in there. Check out Chemustry Wueen or Madeupmama - they are honest about the struggles but are so positive and encouraging.

I am 9 weeks into the program and I felt exactly the same as you - I was going to be the only one this didn't work for. But things are going well.

Listen to the wisdom on this forum, believe in yourself and surround yourself with only positive encouragement and it will work for you.

Keep posting, you can do it!

missc_26
on 9/9/17 11:12 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Madeupmama got me thru so much of my first experiences on this journey. I'm gonna check out Chemistry Queen - thanks for the info :)

Most Active