Its been a while- kitchen gadget disease, what is your thing?

happyteacher
on 9/15/17 5:00 pm

Every so often I wonder about what new toys and gadgets folks are using in the kitchen to help the weight loss/maintenance journey. I am hankering for a new gadget, but can't really think of anything that would be worth a purchase. I have kitchen gadget disease. Here is a list of my most uses items or the total bust items- not intended to be a complete list. The ones that I like, but only use occasionally are not here. Do you have a favorite gadget to share? Looking for ideas!

Vitamix- my number one favorite tool during my weight loss phase. Bought damn near every blender model out there until I finally caved and bought this. I will never go back, although my Blendtec purchased for work is almost as good and a lot cheaper.

Instant Pot- totally addicted to it. Lightening fast meals that are super healthy. Dump a few ingredients in, push a button and done. Best part- saved me a small fortune. We stopped constantly going out to eat because it was just easier to cook!

Joule (sous vide)- I have digestive issues post gallbladder/cancer and hernia issues. Joule has helped me to finally stop turning perfectly good proteins into leather. Perfect every time, but takes a tad bit of planning ahead.

Nutrimill Classic- started making my own bread (maintenance here, probably not for weight loss). I don't buy flour anymore, but this new hobby makes maintenance more challenging.

For now I am counting the air fryer as a win. I am not using it as much, but I cannot digest fat well so when I want the typical "fried" food the air fryer works great! I don't crave that often, but when I do...!

Total busts:

I have a slew. Mini pie maker to make a crustless quiche, crepe maker, that thing that makes a breakfast sandwich. Usually, I don't mind dropping $20 on a "maker" due to it being a fun novelty thing for me and my daughters to play with... but in the end dust collectors.

Nuwave- it served its purpose- had a long stretch where I could not lift over 2 pounds or reach either up or down. That sat counter height so I could use the oven. But once I got use of the arms back it now collects dust.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/17 5:34 pm, edited 9/15/17 10:34 am
VSG on 03/28/17

I was gifted a cuisinart pressure cooker a couple of years ago and my husband and I use it regularly to make chicken, pork, and chili mostly. We aren't great at it though and often the meat comes out under or over cooked. I've been seriously thinking about trying out the instant pot but so far can't justify getting another pressure cooker when we already have one. Do you think the instant pot is easier/better than a standard pressure cooker? Would you recommend it?

Also, not a kitchen gadget exactly but my husband and I have been virtually salivating over getting a Roomba. Someday!

happyteacher
on 9/15/17 6:10 pm

I love the Instant Pot, and would heartily recommend it to anybody! However, if your Cuisinart is an electric model then I am not sure if it would be worth a purchase. You may get some extra bells and whistles, but for the most part it will do the exact same thing. Regarding meat- fattier cuts do much better than lean. Pulled pork, short ribs, or ribs are particularly awesome! Chicken- I don't really like chicken breast in a pressure cooker, but chicken thighs work well. If you are under or overcooking try recipes from Lorna Sass- in my humble opinion, those are the most consistently delicious. :)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Gwen M.
on 9/15/17 5:46 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

The Mellow sous vide I pre-ordered years ago has finally started shipping. I can't wait to get mine!

I haven't been using a lot of gadgets recently. Weird.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

happyteacher
on 9/15/17 6:11 pm

I need to look up the Mellow- can't remember what is different about it. Glad that it is finally shipping for you! I had that issue with the Joule- took a reeeaaaalllly long time to get it, but loved it once it came!

Highfunctioningfatman
on 9/15/17 6:18 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

I love my smoker! The only thing that sucks is that I like to completely fill the smoker. That means a ton of stuff to go into the freezer. Sometimes that's a bad thing.

happyteacher
on 9/18/17 2:30 pm

I "thought" I would enjoy a smoker. Found one on Craigslist for $25 so that it was a low-cost way to try it out. Yea, have not used it once. I need to take a class or something to get me motivated! I love the food that comes out of it, love the idea of making it, but apparently not motivated to do so.

CC C.
on 9/15/17 6:54 pm

I'll second the smoker. Fun toy.

I think my favorite thing right now is my ceramic frying pan. Nothing sticks! I can do eggs with no butter or spray and they don't stick. Great for salmon too. Best $20 I ever spent. I got rid of all my expensive, supposedly non-stick-but-weren't Teflon pans.

happyteacher
on 9/18/17 2:31 pm

Is it the copper pan thingys I see on infomercials, or different?

CC C.
on 9/18/17 2:36 pm

The brand is GreenPan. They have some with plastic handles and some with metal handles (which can go in the oven). I have this one. Oops, I didn't remember paying that much for it, but it's great.

Most Active