Vitamins

rissa1224
on 9/24/17 3:29 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

Hi all!

being back on track (I know, I know. I got too stupid and too happy with trigger foods again), I'm probably in need of vitamins

im less than 5 years post op. My surgeon moved far away, and I haven't seen him in about 3 years. I also moved, and haven't found one to see, but I was going to probably make an appointment with a bariatric familiar nutritionist.

Anyway, vitamins. I've had my levels checked and my regular doctor says I'm all good. But, I just don't know for sure, and I really know I need to take. What are some brands / and kinds of vitamins that you all take postoperative? B? Multi? Iron? For a while I was taking flinstones (because that's what my old nut said to do), but eh. I want to be better and safer. Also, in a short few years I'll be having babies. I know vitamins are different at that time but, overall I need them now.

TIA!

LeslieWesleysyxx
on 9/24/17 4:15 pm
Revision on 03/14/18

I started taking bariatric fusion vitamins after normal everyday vitamins just weren't cutting it for me. My labs this last month were significantly improved. I do take an additional iron daily, but aside from that, that is all I take.

rissa1224
on 9/24/17 4:33 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

Thanks! My labs have always been fine. I'm glad yours have improved! I just don't know what to take. I'm actually going to call a NUT associated with a bariatric surgeon in my area this week. I just need that extra help

Grim_Traveller
on 9/24/17 4:33 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Do you have copies of your labs, over time, with the exact results?

We've seen many people whose doctors have told them their labs were good, but their numbers were falling steadily over time. As much as I love my doctor, it's my health, and I track my own numbers.

Without more details, it's hard to give advice. You could just follow the ASMBS recommendation of two multivitamins per day, but odds are you need some other things as well.

I used a generic from CVS that is equivalent to Centrum adult. They needn't be bariatric vitamins.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

rissa1224
on 9/24/17 5:35 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

I don't, and I'm due for more. So I'm calling a surgeon in my area this week, and will also make an appointment with a NUT. My old one wasn't the best, and it was my own fault for not finding a new one once my surgeon moved.

Grim_Traveller
on 9/25/17 6:42 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It doesn't need to be a surgeon. Your PCP can order bloodwork for you. If they aren't up on the supplement needs of WLSers, you can print out a list of labs you need. There are a lot of threads with lists of labs here on OH.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Knitter215
on 9/24/17 5:14 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

I was using the Costco store brand women's multi, but switched, with my team's OK, to gummy vitamins because the large pills were coming back up and I'm a year after surgery. I just can't swallow horse pills any more.

I also take an iron supplement (1 tablet daily), 2 Vitamin D gels and calcium because of deficiencies in my blood work.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Valerie G.
on 9/25/17 1:35 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

You have no malabsorption, so for many, a quality multi fits the bill just fine. Centrum or Kirkland are both good multi's. If your calcium is low, you want to supplement with calcium citrate (easier absorbed). You really don't need to add anything more than your bloodwork dictates, so request a hard copy of those lab results so you can see for yourself. When you're reading them, it will show the target range and your score. If everything is in that range, then you're probably fine, but keep a copy of those results and compare them to your next reading to see if anything is trending downward.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Bufflehead
on 9/25/17 1:38 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I take Trader Joe's High Potency Chewable Multi's. They are cheaper, lower calorie, and lower carb than bariatric fake candy vitamins that are all loaded up with sugar and artificial crap. My labs have always been great (4+ years out).

I also take generic regular iron pills. Not the slow release, just regular iron.

theAntiChick
on 9/26/17 7:26 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I take B12 sublingual and 5,000 IU of a dry D3 because of deficiencies that showed up long before I had surgery, and those levels have maintained fine after surgery with the supplements.

My surgeon said that Flintstones and gummy vitamins are crap. She said for her sleeve patients, any good quality multi is fine. But after my iron went low, she wanted me to switch to one with iron and I decided to go ahead with a bariatric formulation.

I can't stand chewables, so I've been taking Celebrate bariatric multi capsules with iron:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCW9S3J/ref=oh_aui_se arch_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My iron levels popped back up with these and everything is so far trending great.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views