Needing reassurance?

xoxsarahxo2
on 10/21/17 3:29 pm
VSG on 10/19/17

Okay guys, I was sleeved Oct 19th & am 2 days post op. I feel okay, I'm getting my protein in and fluids, I have pretty bad pain on my one incision (assuming it's the one they took my stomach from). But I gotta ask, did anyone else think this early on, "there's no way this is gonna work for me, there's no way I'm going to lose a ton of weight and finally feel good again"? I don't try to be negative, I guess I'm just terribly impatient and in disbelief that a surgery like this could make someone like me lose a considerable amount of weight. But on the other hand, I went ahead and ordered a dress I really liked on sale in a size I wouldn't even imagine fitting into again. What is wrong with my head???

NYMom222
on 10/21/17 4:03 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

First, Congratulations- you are on the other side!

We all got here after years of failed attempts.... so it's hard to believe it is going to work for us.

My best advice is stay focused, make it your job, hang around this place and listen to people with experience.

I think when you are having success it is easier to stick with it.

Yes follow the rules and develop good habits. There is no magic wand... we do have to put in the work.

Good Luck

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

terrylynnishere
on 10/21/17 4:24 pm

You are in control of your thoughts, so why not focus on how well your going to do at sticking to your centers eating plan, and including an exercise plan when your able to that will lead you down a path to success.

This isn't magic by any means. We have to do the work. While your healing remember why you chose to have the surgery, and do what it takes to stay motivated, and succeed. If you commit to do what has been proven to work for countless others before you. You will lose weight. Give yourself the best chance. If you feel you need some professional help to get your head around all the changes that are going to take place. Speak to someone from your health care team and get a recommendation.

There are many people here on OH that are willing to lend an ear, encourage you, and give great advice.

Have faith in yourself, and get ready for the ride of your life.

Vertical sleeve, Sept 15

Gwen M.
on 10/21/17 4:39 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I think it's not uncommon to feel that way - to wonder "am I the one person this won't work for?" And lots of people do fail and do go back to old habits and regain the weight.

And, you're right - surgery like this won't "make someone like me lose a considerable amount of weight." What will let you lose weight is sticking to your plan and using this time to sort your brain out so that you aren't one of the people who falls back into old habits.

You can do it.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Ladyblu
on 10/21/17 5:02 pm - Jacksonville, FL
VSG on 09/29/17

Sometimes I think we have trained ourselves to feel that way because all the things we tried before surgery obviously failed. So in some ways, that little negative voice inside your head whispers to you that this will too. But there must be another little voice in your head that has hope and believes in you since you ordered that dress. Hang that dress on the frig or in the kitchen. Remind yourself every day that there is a part of you that knows you can succeed and even spent money in that direction, not to mention the fact that you went through with a major surgery. Some part of you must believe that it is possible. Feed that voice and starve the negative one.

You may also want to think about seeing a professional to help you sort out those feelings and discover ways to promote the ones that want you to succeed and rid yourself of the ones that expect you to fail.

Good luck to you and remember that there are a lot of good people here who have been there and done that and are willing to listen.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Diane

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

VSG with Dr. Wanchick - Sept 29 2017

Age 52 Height 5'2" HW 585 (2012) Initial Consult Weight 522 SW 460 (9/29/2017) CW 350 (4/5/2018) Next Goal 325 Starting BMI 95.5 Current BMI 64.0

Pre-Op: 62 M1: 36 M2: 20 M3: 15 M4: 19 M5: 10 M6: 10 M7: ?

cappy11448
on 10/21/17 9:21 pm
I think it is hard to imagine anything working when we've been struggling to deal with obesity for so long. But the surgery does work. I lost 225 pounds, and I've been maintaining for about 5 years. And I was 385 pounds when I had surgery. The surgery does change things. It makes weight management possible - not easy, but possible. You can do this! I look forward to hearing about your successes. You are going to do great! Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

xoxsarahxo2
on 10/22/17 5:07 am
VSG on 10/19/17

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Being on here helps greatly.

Valerie G.
on 10/23/17 4:44 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm sure everyone here has had at least a fleeting moment of doubt, so this will pass as you start to see the changes happening.

For the dress, I highly advise against getting garments that are not in your size. I did this with two items I loved, and when I was in that size, it wasn't the right time to wear them (season or temperature-wise), and when it was, they no longer fit. It was horribly disappointing. Once the loss started, I was only in a clothing size for about six weeks at a time.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Keith L.
on 10/23/17 8:16 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I think everyone thinks that at some point. Being over 5 years post-op I can tell you as long as you stick with the program you will see nothing but amazing results. You will shift from "this will never work" to "why didn't I do this sooner". Right now focus on healing and following your program, the results will come.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active