Traveling/Surgery alone in Mexico

NanaB73
on 10/23/17 1:20 pm

I'm very near scheduling my surgery with Dr Corvala in Mexico. I'm considering going alone and would like to hear from any who have done so. Bad idea? Good?

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/17 5:24 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

I used a different surgeon in Mexico and I went alone. It went great for me.

NanaB73
on 10/23/17 10:43 pm

I'm so glad it did. Thank you!

azmichy
on 10/23/17 10:02 pm
VSG on 10/24/17

I also had a friend who did her lapband surgery in NM and went alone. No issues for her either. Best of luck to you. I know it's a really hard choice.

Lap Band 09/17/2003 HW-276 SW-225 LW-167

Revision to VSG 10/24/17 HW-244 SW-217.8 CW-179.6

Pre-op:0~M1:17~M2: 6.6~M3: 7.8~M4: 6.7

NanaB73
on 10/23/17 10:46 pm

It kind of is! There is a delay in my husband's passport, so I'm trying to decide whether to stick with my inital plan for the end of November or delay my surgery so he can be with me. Thank you for your input.

Eggface
on 10/24/17 3:21 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

I went alone. I will say this... I underestimated the emotional first few days so have Skype or your cell phone near to connect with anyone... this board, friends, family. If you have a friend or family member that can come with and can afford to bring them with I'd say do it but if you can't know that others have gone solo before you :)

I had a different Dr so can't speak to yours or the program but chat with several patients and ask them to recall the first few days, it will help prepare you for some of the things you may want to be prepared for... response time of staff, testing, visits from Dr, I heard from 3 or 4 past patients and they all told me a similar story which was comforting... when it was my turn and things happened just as they had shared.\

Best wishes! Having surgery was the best gift I ever gave myself. I hope you will soon be saying the same.

Shelly

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

NanaB73
on 10/24/17 9:16 pm

Shelly,

I'm so happy you spoke up as I've been pouring over your blog! :) It's really blessed me. Thank you for all that you share there.

The emotional part is something I really need to be aware of. It's probably the biggest concern I have about being alone. :/

How would I go about finding patients from my particular Dr? That would be an incredible advantage I would think.

Thank you for sharing what a gift surgery is for you. That's encouraging!

Heidi

Eggface
on 10/25/17 4:15 am, edited 10/24/17 9:16 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Aww I am so glad it's helping :) Here on OH all Dr's (even out of the US) have pages and patients can review them http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-jua n-antonio-lopez-corvala/reviews is your Dr, when you scroll down you can click on the names of those who have left reviews and message them through the messaging system here, read any blogs they have posted or past posts on forums. I'd do a few to be sure I had a nice sampling. Chat with some recent and some in the past too.

Ask your Dr about a visiting nurse. I had a nurse come once a day for 3 days post-release to check my vitals, drains, she stayed an hour but it was nice to have that peace of mind.

:)

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

NanaB73
on 10/25/17 7:39 pm

Thank You!

melarayalet
on 10/24/17 4:39 pm

I had mine done in the states but my family was by my side the whole time and I'm so grateful. I was in so much pain when I got out of surgery I was just happy to hold my parents hands while I laid in bed. I was in the hospital for 3 nights after and was only alone 1 night, my boyfriend stayed with me the other 2 nights and I was very grateful as I wouldn't remember what the doctors and nurses were telling me since I was on pain meds. If you can have someone there with you I highly recommend it! Good luck!!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 54 views