Turkey Sausage Kale Pumpkin (or Squash) Soup

Keith L.
on 10/31/17 8:28 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I love this recipe and have shared it before, but thought it was time for another share! I swap out the pumpkin for butternut squash, tastes just as good, even better since squash is not as sweet as pumpkin.

Turkey Sausage, Kale, and Pumpkin Soup

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/10/turkey-sausage-kale- pumpkin-soup.html

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

joanne0658
on 10/31/17 9:13 am

looks wonderful and definitely on my list for next weekend. thank you for sharing again . . . . . .hubby and i love to have soup . . all seasons!

Age: 60 | Height: 5'3.5 | Surgery Date: 07/24/15 | Starting Weight: 292 | Surgery Weight: 267 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 149 | WL so far: 143 lbs

Keith L.
on 10/31/17 9:28 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Very easy to make, very satisfying and I eat it year round even though it seems to be more like a fall type of recipe.

joanne0658
on 10/31/17 9:35 am

can't wait to make it. :)

Age: 60 | Height: 5'3.5 | Surgery Date: 07/24/15 | Starting Weight: 292 | Surgery Weight: 267 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 149 | WL so far: 143 lbs

rissa1224
on 11/2/17 6:01 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

I have had kale once last year (future SIL grew it and gave some to me) and I wasn't a fan. However, I had only put it in a shake and tried a tad in a salad and it wasn't for me.

Cooked kale, does it taste any different vs fresh? And or could you substitute kale for something else green?

Keith L.
on 11/2/17 8:10 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Yes, so kale is an interesting leaf. Raw in a salad it is very bitter and tough. The way I use in a salad is you have to pull the thick stem out of the middle and bruise up the leaf by massaging it. If you do this its quite palatable in a salad, particularly with a strongly flavored dressing with say mint or cilantro where you will taste more herbs. Mix that with some parmesan cheese and you have a tasty salad. Plain raw is not good.

Cooked is much better. I like it in that soup above and I like is sauteed. Here again you need to remove that thick stem that goes down the middle. But cooked is much better than raw. Its a hearty leafy green that is full of great nutrition. I highly recommend finding a way to incorporate it in your diet. Plus it makes going #2 a lot easier.

As for substitutes, yes plenty, rally any kind of sturdy green so cabbage, collard greens, turnip greens, spinach (although spinach wilts away to nothing so you will need a lot more of it. There are a lot of other types of greens like beet, turnip, mustard, those would all work too but they are often harder to find.

rissa1224
on 11/2/17 8:41 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

Great, thanks for all of that, Keith! I will definitely try to add in kale now, the better tasting way! I heard it's good for you, but growing up my family never made it so it was new to me.

Keith L.
on 11/2/17 8:47 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

It was for me as well. If you are a garlic fan, kale sauteed with olive oil and garlic is pretty good.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 51 views