Brand new to forum scared for upcoming surgery

Brendie
on 11/7/17 8:17 am
VSG on 11/27/17

i have never posted to message board before ad I am a bit of a Luddite I am scared I won't be able to follow pre op diet can anyone help?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/7/17 8:45 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Welcome!

Following your pre-op diet is incredibly important, because it's practice for the post-op diet. If you screw up on the POST-op diet and eat something you shouldn't, you run a very real risk of very serious (or even deadly) complications.

Keep lots of different drinks on hand. Sugar-free lemonade, Crystal Light, iced tea, flavor drops, different types of protein shakes. It's hard to get through, but you can do it!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

trkr75
on 11/7/17 8:59 am
VSG on 11/08/17

I've been on it for two weeks, now clear liquid for two days and surgery tomorrow. It eas rough at first but not so much now. Just keep your eye on the big picture and end result. If you feel hungery eat some jello or drink some broth. That's what worked for me. Good luck.

Ken 5'10" VSG HW-290 SW-265 CW-265 Surgery 11/08/2017

https://trendweight.com/u/31d3fd3359fa4e/

Kristi T.
on 11/7/17 10:35 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Hi Brendie and welcome! You can follow the pre-op diet because the outcome is absolutely worth it. It was hard for the first three or four days, but what made it easier was getting off of caffeine, diet coke and sugar before the pre-op diet began. It was still a shock to my system, but I believe it made it a little bit easier. The list of items that Julie posted was exactly what I used to help me. Keep coming back to OH for support, you can do this.

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/17 3:40 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

Decide that this is the last time you will ever try to lose weight. This is it. This is going to work. There are no other options except success. Really believe that you can do this. You are taking the first steps by starting the pre-op diet and that is so exciting! Every pound you lose is really gone for good! You are going to be a machine sticking to your surgeon's plan and you are going to start right now. Decide that, and you'll be fine!

Shannon S.
on 11/9/17 5:10 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I was like you. I was worried about failure. My doc is ultra conservative, and I had to follow a 2 week clear liquid, plus 60 grams of protein via shakes daily. I was able to pull through. You will be able to do it too. I had surgery tues, and now have to do the same diet for another 3 weeks. Of course now it's all I can tolerate so it makes it a bit easier. Best wishes to you. You have this!

CC C.
on 11/9/17 6:07 pm

I was lucky in that my surgeon didn't require the pre-op liquid diet. But try to remind yourself that it's only a few weeks and it means you get to have surgery. You can do anything unpleasant for a short while if it's a means to an end!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views