Band Gone - Rethinking VSG

G.Gwen
on 11/18/17 3:54 pm
VSG on 11/09/17

Band removal happened on 11/9 (it's 10 years old). Still don't feel so well, and since I was not "sleeved" at the same time, I am now apprehensive about VGS. That won't happen (if it DOES happen at all****il next year so I may have a different mindset. My insurance would not approve the band to VGS in the same surgery. Right now, struggling with post-op depression about it all.

I have an incision infection, and on day 4 of antibiotics. Probably why I don't feel so well. Disappointed with my surgeon who doesn't talk much. He's highly skilled, but seems annoyed that this thing has caused issues to the point of needing to be removed. Hasn't really ever worked effectively, and in the last 2 years has caused me a lot of time and money in ER visits due to chest pain mimicking heart issues.

The short term disability company wants me to return to work next Tuesday which will be less than 2 weeks out. They said most people are only out for a week, and that is what they will allow (and only the extra days because of the post op infection), regardless of what the doctor says. So frustrating.

So I am trying to do more walking, and just hope I can successfully complete the day at work on Tuesday, and will have a half day on Wednesday.

CC C.
on 11/18/17 3:59 pm

That sounds really frustrating! Hope you heal quickly!

Shannon S.
on 11/18/17 4:56 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

So sorry for what you are going through. Is there an appeal process with your STD? I would think this should be a medical decision made by your doctor and not some insurance representative's cookie cutter idea of how long you can be out. No way would I go for that.

Just an FYI I had a lap band 11years ago ish and it was an awful surgery. I feel the band was never placed right, as I was never able to tolerate food, and vomitted constantly (even without a fill). It was a true nightmare. I had mine removed a year later in emergency surgery. The thing had completely obstructed me. I swore off WLS due to that awful experience. Here I am 11 years later and just had VSG. All I can tell you is I wish I had done it sooner.

Praying for your healing, and guidance in your decision making process. Keep your head up. This too shall pass.

G.Gwen
on 11/18/17 5:28 pm
VSG on 11/09/17

Thanks for the encouragement and prayers. It's been the recovery from HELL dealing with medical insurance, STD insurance while trying to get well. I will get thru it, I always do, but just discouraged right now and feeling too old (62) to go on with any ideas of further WLS.

NYMom222
on 11/18/17 9:16 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

You are never too old to feel better. I am slightly younger than you but not much, and am so happy to be in better health at this point in my life.

I am recovering from my second rotator cuff surgery in 4 months due to a car accident. When I made the decision for these surgeries I felt I was too young to be old, and nothing gets easier the older we get. I can only imagine how much harder this would have been if I was still 400lbs.

I know you are feeling sick and overwhelmed right now, but remember nothing is more important than your health. Good Luck

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

carolw1229
on 11/18/17 5:12 pm
VSG on 10/18/17

I had the lap band revision to VSG surgery 4 weeks ago. My surgeon has done hundreds in one surgery. I'm not young and all went really well. I'm doing great and surgery was easier than I expected. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance and it was approved with 4 month supervised diet. I'm sorry you have to wait. My lap band had slipped but no other problems. I only lost 30 pounds with it in 8 years. I'm so glad to be sleeved. No regrets at all. Healing went well and I feel great. I'm sticking to requirements and already see results. I'm not hungry. Hang in there and keep informed. I hope your insurance cooperates. You won't be sorry!

carol

G.Gwen
on 11/18/17 5:33 pm
VSG on 11/09/17

Thanks Carol. Are you in Arizona?

BCBS denied the revision without a 6 month supervised diet. I couldn't wait that long with the chest pain affecting my quality of life, so felt I needed to go ahead with the removal.

carolw1229
on 11/19/17 9:28 am
VSG on 10/18/17

Yes, I'm in AZ. There are different BCBS plans and criteria. What is so great about the sleeve is how full you feel and no food getting stuck or throwing up! The 4 month wait went really fast. The end result is worth the wait. Go for it!

G.Gwen
on 11/19/17 9:39 am
VSG on 11/09/17

Do you feel comfortable saying who your surgeon is?

carolw1229
on 11/20/17 5:15 pm
VSG on 10/18/17

Dr. Patrick Chiasson , So AZ Center for Minimally Invasive Surgery

Northwest Medical Center

Tucson, AZ

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views