Anxiety and weight loss

momof4Nready4me
on 11/21/17 9:48 am

I suffer from PCOS which can cause depression and anxiety. However, I know that a huge cause of my anxiety is my weight. I do not clothes shop, have a hard time looking people in the eyes when talking(especially new people) as my anxiety kicks in over my weight. i Have been off and on different meds before. Does losing weight help with anxiety and depression? I am talkling about physiologically if that is the right term. I feel that alot of my anxiety would be gone if I could lose wight. Is this true or does the anxiety shift to something else , i.e sagging skin? I am asking in this forum becuase I am looking into sleeve next year.

Renren
on 11/21/17 10:20 am
VSG on 12/02/15

A lot of my anxiety is gone now that I have lost weight, but most of my insecurity was weight related. I think it depends on why you have depression and anxiety. I used to think that depression was just sadness, but it's a medical condition that needs medical attention.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/21/17 10:49 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It's absolutely possible for the anxiety to shift to other things. For example, many of us feel "invisible" when we're obese, and find that people start paying attention to us more as we weigh less. That can be very stressful!

Many of the most successful people here on the forums attend therapy after having surgery. WLS fixes your stomach, not your head, and it's very helpful to get some professional assistance in dealing with issues of our relationship with food, our body image, confidence, etc.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/17 2:26 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

During the rapid weight loss phase you often feel emotionally wonderful, but once the weight is gone you find that you are still you with the same mental hangups and thought processes.

Most Active