Felt drunk after eating candy??

Notaboutperfect
on 12/5/17 7:41 am
VSG on 11/08/16

I consume very little sugar--I stick to my protein forward way of life pretty well. The couple of times I've had a little something, it makes me feel sick--usually GI sick, so I stay away from it.

Sunday, I went to a performance and I decided to have a Mocha. Then I had a handful of skittles. About 30-45 mins later I had the overwhelming feeling of being drunk. I honestly felt buzzed, dizzy, and couldn't focus. Then I broke out in a cold sweat.

I am not diabetic. This is the only time I remember having candy since before my surgery. Or was it the sugar+caffeine combo? Should I be freaked out? What happened?

If nothing else, another reminder to stay on the straight/narrow!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/5/17 7:58 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Sounds like it might be reactive hypoglycemia?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Notaboutperfect
on 12/6/17 12:48 pm
VSG on 11/08/16

Thank you for the link! I was hoping someone had some insight/science. When I googled all that came back was that I'm diabetic.... It was scary. I'll be more careful.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/6/17 12:50 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I've never dealt with RH so I have no personal experience, but I believe some folks here who have RH keep a glucose meter on hand. Looking at your blood sugar during an episode, versus fasting sugars, may be able to help figure out if it's really RH.

If in doubt, check with your doctor next time you're in the office! :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Notaboutperfect
on 12/6/17 12:55 pm
VSG on 11/08/16

I have to see her next month--so I'll see what she thinks. It was not ok--I hope it was a one and done situation.

Keith L.
on 12/5/17 9:01 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Sounds like dumping to me. It has only happened to me a few times. The first was when I ate some organic baby yogurt (before I learned to read labels) which turned out to be loaded with sugar. I jumped in the car right after and almost wrecked my car.

I think you are on the right track, just stay away from it. Further out you will not receive the benefits of dumping as your body adjusts.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Notaboutperfect
on 12/6/17 12:50 pm
VSG on 11/08/16

Baby food!! LOL!

Thank you, I will be more careful. I had no idea! The splurge definitely wasn't worth it!

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/5/17 3:49 pm

Definitely sounds like RH - Reactive hypoglycemia. I hate that worse than dumping. ugh. Please be careful. Very low blood sugar due to RH can lead to many bad situation, including passing out or brain seizures.

Imagine driving a car when things like that happens? casing an accident? ugh.. Knowing that I could prevent that by not eating sugary snacks. Scary stuff.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Notaboutperfect
on 12/6/17 12:53 pm
VSG on 11/08/16

Thank you. I'm very glad I wasn't driving at the time. It came on very fast, without warning--and I don't think I could have driven.

Now that I can understand, I agree--def not something to mess with. I have tried to be so good, and I just didn't think this time. Honestly, didn't think I was susceptible to this? I'm a little amazed how strongly my body reacted. Scary, but a good reminder to stay vigilant.

Jester
on 12/7/17 11:58 am
RNY on 03/21/16

Could very well be RH. If you consume very little sugar then that Mocha and handful of skittles could be a MAJOR shock to your system. Not sure where you got your mocha, or how big it was, but to give you an idea, a 16 oz Mocha from Starbucks has 35 grams of sugar! That handful of Skittles could easily have had another 10+ grams of sugar (there are 42g of sugar in one packet of Skittles).

My point is that if you normally keep your sugar low, I would think you rarely consume more than 5g-10g at a time, and that Mocha and Skittles could easily have been 45g++. That could be quite a shock to the system and is certainly enough to make you feel really, really bad.

Most Active