How long will I be in the hospital??

prettyfacem1
on 12/28/17 9:59 pm

As I stated earlier, my VSG surgery is January 9th!! Eeeek! How long do you typically stay in the hospital? I'm Kaiser if that makes a difference. Thank you everyone!! Your stories and experiences HV kept me going!

Stephanie ~

KDBaker
on 12/29/17 4:03 am - Exeter, NH
VSG on 10/16/17

Hi Stephanie,

I had my surgery on a Monday morning and was home on Tuesday night. Basically, Monday was a blur. I woke up after it was all done, they got me settled in a room, and later in the day I was up and walking. Tuesday morning they did a test to make sure there were no leaks, got me sipping on water, and ran way too many blood tests. In reality, it probably wasn't that many, but my veins are difficult on a good day. Anyway, once they were sure I could get enough liquids in and I didn't have any complications they sent me home with a pile of prescriptions.

Hope this helps!

Kathryn

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 12/29/17 5:11 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

My surgeons office has everyone stay 2 nights. No special tests, but you must be able to consume water, sip protein drinks and urinate. I felt well enough that I could have gone home after one night, but I appreciated their caution in making sure everything was in working order prior to discharge.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

mmsmom
on 12/29/17 7:00 am - Woburn, MA

I stayed 2 nights, but why don't you know this info yet for your surgery?

VSG on 04/28/2014

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/29/17 8:36 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I had surgery on a Friday & went home on Sunday, but that's because I couldn't get enough water down on Saturday. I didn't have any complications & frankly I needed the extra day to rest. I was more than ready to leave by the time Sunday came around.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/29/17 8:51 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Most people stay one or two nights in the hospital.

I'd suggest contacting your surgeon's office and asking what his/her protocol is. Might as well know what your exact situation is going to be!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

feels_so_good
on 12/29/17 8:52 am
VSG on 05/20/14

Most common answer I found was the next day. I read about some same day releases (mostly mexico). My hospital had everyone stay 2 nights. The day of recovery I was drugged up and didn't feel much other than when I moved. I was both surprised at how little pain I had and how painful it was the first time I got up to walk. Day 2 I did had a leak test/x- ray and got up to walk several times. I'm glad I stayed the 2nd night but was ready to go home when I woke up.

It's been over 3 years for me but I remember the staff and nutritionist saying the menu I had was approved for me post opp, however the items had a food mix that was close to normal calories/food. I remember jello and a shake that closer to a meal replacement than a protein shake. All the way through my process the nutritionist(s) had a different perspective than my surgeon did about food intake.

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

Knitter215
on 12/29/17 1:47 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

Really depends on your doc and how you do after surgery. I was at the hospital Tuesday at 7 am and home Wednesday at 2 pm. As soon as they got me out of the recovery room and to my room (I was in holding in recovery for a couple of hours because they didn't have a room for me), I was up and walking which helped. Talk to your team - some docs have a two night requirement.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Shannon S.
on 12/29/17 4:11 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I'm a Kaiser (Maryland) patient. I went into surgery around 8am on a tues, and left around 6-7 pm the next day. They'll want to make sure you are drinking adequately, you are walking and moving around well, and your pain is adequately controlled.

CC C.
on 12/29/17 5:22 pm, edited 12/29/17 9:23 am

I couldn't wait to get out of there after one night. They put a person next to me with an impacted colon and set up a commode about 5 inches from my bed on the other side of the curtain. I was on the phone in 2 seconds begging my doctor to let me go home! So yeah, 1 night, which was half a day too long.

Most Active