VSG for low BMI

Fattofit92
on 2/7/18 9:12 pm

hello, my BMI is 27 and I'm considering gastric sleeve to lose 30-40 pounds PERMANENTLY. I am 26 years old and most of my immediate family is obese or diabetic. I've struggled with diet in the past and have gained and lost the same 50 pounds since I was 18. Dr. Kelly has agreed to perform the surgery on me and I am excited. My questions are:

1. Is it possible to become too thin from this surgery?
  2. Does anyone have any experience with surgery in Mexico?
Nknerr
on 2/8/18 9:17 am
VBG on 12/07/17

I was hoping that the others would chime in first on this, but here you go:

1. I don't know if it is possible to become too thin on the surgery. However, you need to know that the surgery is not a fix-all. You will be dieting for the rest of your life. That means, you will be measuring foods and counting calories every day. IF you eat more than your sleeve will hold, once or twice, you will have a fair amount of pain. If you do it too often, you will stretch it out. Oh, by the way, NO CARBS for quite a while after surgery.

2. I did not have the surgery in Mexico. But, you need to check with your insurance company to see how long you have to be in a program before the surgery.

Just know, the surgery does not make the pounds come off, the constant diet does. So, you will need to be mentally and emotionally prepared to give up the "comfort foods" and rely on either therapy or exercise to keep yourself in line.

Natalie

2/2017: 340 VSG: 12/7/2017 - 272 1/29/18: 253

theAntiChick
on 2/8/18 9:45 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

New research is showing that intervening with surgery earlier on, before the BMI gets way high, yields better results. However, all of that research is focusing on the patients with BMIs in the 30-35 range, because historically patients have had to exceed 40 or 35 with comorbidities like diabetes to qualify for the surgery. I have not seen any reliable information on surgery with BMI as low as 27.

I personally would never EVER consider surgery for a loss of 30-40#. I would see a therapist about any food issues like emotional eating or binge eating. I would figure out what kind of dietary adjustments I could make permanently. I'd find some kind of activity I loved to do to burn more calories. I would talk to my doctor about some of the medications that can be prescribed for weight loss.

If you have a surgeon that's willing to do the surgery, you obviously meet the criteria in his/her mind. I don't know your medical history and am not a physician so I can't contradict your surgeon.

I would say that it is possible to get too thin, though most patients don't experience that. There are some complications that can cause food intolerances or other issues that can cause the patient to be unable or unwilling to eat enough nutrients.

I don't have experience with surgery in Mexico, but lots of people here have, so they can respond to that question.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/8/18 9:50 am
RNY on 08/05/19

There is an entire sub-forum devoted to surgery in Mexico:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/mexico/

Please keep in mind that surgery does NOT guarantee permanent weight loss. It will make it easier to lose your weight and maintain that loss, but it's not a magical fix; you will likely need to follow a WLS-appropriate diet and weigh/measure all of your food for the rest of your life.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gwen M.
on 2/8/18 10:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It's worth noting that there is no such thing as "permanent" weight loss. You can regain weight with any method of weight loss, including surgery.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Shannon S.
on 2/8/18 4:28 pm, edited 2/8/18 8:34 am
VSG on 11/07/17

For me to have a a BMI of 27 I would have to weigh 162lbs. My ideal body weight is a range of 112-150. I?m larger boned so my goal is 150. I would never have surgery for that amount of weight, and I would venture to say insurance probably would never pay for it. A surgeon who would perform surgery on you with a BMI of 27 is a quack. I am probably going to get blasted on here, but that is okay by me. I call it how so see it. Major surgery should only be for drastic measures in my opinion. My daughter who is 5?1 has a higher BMI than that, but she has a very muscular, athletic figure. I can?t imagine her needing surgery for such a little amount of weight.

Kays
on 2/9/18 7:37 am
VSG on 12/18/17

Hello- you do have a fairly low BMI-

when I was researching wls I ran across the gastric ballon. It was not a option for me due to the amount of weight I needed to lose but it may be a less invasive and more cost appropriate option for you? Have you heard of the Orbera- it may be worth looking into? Whatever you choose I hope it works out great!

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/18 4:10 am
VSG on 03/28/17

I had surgery in mexico with a BMI of 38, which is considered low for surgery. I would NEVER ever have had surgery for a BMI of 27. Look into Dr. Fung on youtube and his blog for great fast weightloss advice.

tara1109
on 2/11/18 10:06 pm
VSG on 03/01/18

hi! I have a BMI of 29-30 and going the 'self-pay' route here in California (scheduled for March 1st). It's pricey but I looked at a lot of blogs and read experiences about those who went to Mexico and decided I'd rather be with a doctor who could follow me post-op. I think as long as you've really tried all other ways of losing weight before getting to this point, vsg is a good option for those who are overweight and are at risk.

Most Active