How significant is GERD in VSG and what causes it?

Grim_Traveller
on 2/12/18 1:09 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Your guess as to why herd happens post MSG is incorrect. Many have it without overeating, or while on liquid and soft food diets. Others have it without experiencing the severe physical symptoms, but suffer the internal damage acid causes.

Educated guesses speculate that the smaller sleeves cause more acid problems. Certain sleeve shapes may cause gerd as well.

Best estimates that I've read say that about 25 percent of sleevers who had no acid symptoms prior to surgery end up with herd.

DSers seem to have a lower incidence of gerd, perhaps because their sleeved stomachs are often made larger. RNYers have a very low rate because of the absence of the pyloric valve, allowing acid to go down without restriction.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

stacyrg
on 2/12/18 2:45 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I never had reflux/GERD prior to my VSG. In my case I can say it had ZERO to do with overeating or eating too much at one time. It had everything to do with the fact that the VSG is a closed, high pressure system and the acid has nowhere to go but back up the esophagus. Also, the tone of my LES is very low, with allows the acid to splash up on my esoplagus. At its worst, my acid was 409% higher than normal. I won't speak for everyone, but in my case, your explanation missed the mark.

AboutTime077
on 2/12/18 3:06 pm
On February 12, 2018 at 10:45 PM Pacific Time, stacyrg wrote:

I never had reflux/GERD prior to my VSG. In my case I can say it had ZERO to do with overeating or eating too much at one time. It had everything to do with the fact that the VSG is a closed, high pressure system and the acid has nowhere to go but back up the esophagus. Also, the tone of my LES is very low, with allows the acid to splash up on my esoplagus. At its worst, my acid was 409% higher than normal. I won't speak for everyone, but in my case, your explanation missed the mark.

Hi Stacy. I certainly didn't mean to imply that anyone was "at fault" for GERD, I was just speculating about what might be a cause. I apologize if my speculation was upsetting. As I said, that certainly wasn't my intention.

Beyond that, I'd like to know how you have been managing your GERD and if it's still bothering you.

Thanks

stacyrg
on 2/12/18 3:20 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

And I apologize if I sounded overly harsh. I'm having a rough day.

I managed my GERD by revising to RNY on 7/1/16. Treatments (such as certain PPIs) were's ineffective and my insurance wouldn't approve any other non-surgical treatments. So revision it was. The revision did not fully resolve my reflux, but it is now managed with medication, including Prevacid (2 a day) and zantac 150 (1 a day)

lbalaw2
on 2/12/18 3:14 pm
VSG on 09/19/17

I had significant GERD prior to surgery. I also had a moderated sized sliding hiatal hernia. My surgeon and I discussed the risk of post surgical GERD. I choose VSG because I take medication that I will have to take for the rest of my life that can be difficult to absorb and is weight based.

Since my VSG and hiatal hernia repair, I have not had any episodes of GERD. I take a PPI 3x weekly at this point. Pre-Op, my GERD would wake me in the middle of the night gasping and coughing. So happy none of that has occured so far post op. Surgical procedure type is a risk Vs benefit decision. For myself, I am happy with my decision.

Good Luck to you!

CC C.
on 2/13/18 8:44 am

I developed GERD post op due to a hiatal hernia which was fixed at the time of my VSG surgery, but the fix didn't take. So I had a second surgery 10 months later to hopefully fix the GERD. I won't go off the PPI to chec****il the end of this month, but I can eat more than I could pre-hernia surgery, which is a bummer. But maybe that means my stomach is down where it should be and I won't be plagued with acid anymore. TBD...

Most Active