Almost there but I've gained!

Harpediem
on 2/12/18 4:54 pm

I start optifast February 28. Surgery March 22. Wi**** was over already. But I've gained 5 pounds since orientation in August. Yikes! I started off well keeping a food diary but I stopped after 6 weeks. I lost 5 pounds while keeping the food diary so I've actually gained 10. Feeling very discouraged and wondering if I can't lose weight now maybe that means I'm not a good candidate for the surgery, maybe I'll fail. I told myself I could lose 10 pounds before starting optifast, but I've gained instead.

'I could use some encouragement/advice/kicks in the ass. Someone tell me I'm not wasting my time and effort getting this surgery.

pauline

NuMe2018
on 2/12/18 5:50 pm

I wish that I could give you encouragement but, I am in almost exactly the same place that you are.

I start my optifast on the 21st. Went to my first WLS class Sept 14. Gained 7 pounds since I have read so many posts about people regaining their weight after the "honeymoon period" that I am second guessing the surgery myself

Would be horrible going through all of what I have plus spending the $ that I have to spend just to lose it all and regain like I have with every other diet

I will be watching for replies to your post Good luck!

yvonnef1964
on 2/12/18 6:26 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

It will be a little easier after surgery since you won't be able to eat much. Keep up the work. It's important to track your food all the time. Even 3 years out. I still do it.

JourneyBound
on 2/13/18 1:32 am, edited 2/12/18 5:32 pm
VSG on 10/09/17

Please keep in mind that my response is from the perspective of 4 months post-op. I hope some people who had your challenges pre-op, but are farther out in the process respond to you as well.

I too struggled pre-op. I was an addict hooked on sugar & unhealthy fats. My mindset was, I'm going to enjoy until I can't. But, my mindset was also, this is my last opportunity to save my life, because I truly felt I was killing myself daily, & I had had enough. I resolved that I was going to take this chance to be the healthiest I can be.

Though I had a psychological mind switch that I never had before, I've had a physiological change as well. I don't currently crave sweets & bad fats like i used to. I had a band prior, & did not have this change, so I'm left believing it's a combination of mindset as well as the benefits of this specific surgery.

I too worried & doubted as you do. For me, this was the lifeline I so badly needed. I wish you luck & success in your decision

VSG 10/9/17

HW: 294.2 SW: 286.2 CW:174.6

STGW: 170 LTGW:140

Pre-op:-8 M1:-25.4 M2:-16.8 M3:-15.6 M4:-13.8 M5:-5.4 M6:-8.6 M7:-9.2 M8:-5 M9:-5.6 M10:-2.4

Nknerr
on 2/13/18 6:36 am
VBG on 12/07/17

I'm not sure what Optifast is, but I, too had a small weight gain right when I started the pre-op diet. I think it was because prior to the diet, I would "starve" myself all day and then binge at night. When I started eating 6 meals/snacks a day, my body just couldn't handle it!

Just stick to the diet and you will be fine. It may be a longer transition time, but remember, it will come off and you will do well. Keep posting on here so that we can encourage you.

Don't give up just because of a small set-back!

Natalie

2/2017: 340 VSG: 12/7/2017 - 272 1/29/18: 253

Gwen M.
on 2/13/18 6:44 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Remember that weight loss is just as much about the mental game as the physical game - and surgery will only "fix" one of these things. If you're worried about your willpower and motivation, if you have fears of failure, seeing a therapist to help you through this process would be wise.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

diane S.
on 2/13/18 9:39 am

Only you can DECIDE to make this work or not. My own story is that I decided that I did not need to wait until after surgery to change my eating habits. I started as soon as I made the decision. I did not go on a highly structured diet; just being reasonable in portions, skipping sweets and junk and walking more. I lost 17 pounds over 6 months. Not a record setting amount but it helped me get more comfortable with the idea of eating less. Mentally, I kind of got over my fixation on food as pleasure. Not easy but I reminded myself I had had many excellent food experiences in life and it was ok to put that behind me. So there is no magic. Just resolve and determination and wanting this badly enough to do what it takes. Good luck. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Darla S.
on 3/2/18 12:37 pm - Maple Grove, MN

I LOVE your use of the word "DECIDE". I can't tell you how many times I referred to this whole WLS thing as being a DECISION - or a CHOICE. It constantly requires our conscious awareness and effort to be successful! It's not up to chance, it's totally up to each person to ROCK IT!

Imperfect does not = unsuccessful

Shannon S.
on 2/13/18 5:50 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I was like you in that I gained weight at 1st. I really feel like mine was self sabatoge because I was so fearful of surgery. My insurance didn't require weightloss, but determined, I got myself together and lost 27 lbs. I felt like I really needed to do it for myself in order to convince myself I was ready. Give yourself some more time to get yourself together if you need to. I extended my nutrition until I felt ready. You have this!!

happyteacher
on 2/18/18 1:09 pm

You can't compare post surgery loss to pre-surgery loss. Presurgery is far and away more difficult. I had to work my arse off over 3 months to lose much of anything, and it was a real struggle. I was also afraid that I would get surgery and fail that- this is a natural and common feeling. All of us have tried and failed every diet known to mankind, otherwise, we would not be considering surgery. Just keep working really hard at improving habits and taking off what you can- it does really help the whole process. Just don't give up, for sure that doesn't work!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active