Coffee? In the days leading to surgery

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/18 5:07 am
VSG on 03/01/18

My presurgery liquid diet plan doesnt mention coffee-per say, it does say calorie free liquid.

Did any of you have coffee in the week before surgery?

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/7/18 5:30 am

I did not have a liquid diet. Calorie-free liquid could include black coffee, but you should double check with your surgeon's office.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

stacyz
on 3/7/18 7:39 am - Mystic, CT
VSG on 04/04/18

My nutritionist told me that caffeine slows down the digestion so its not good to have in the beginning. I have quit already just so I don't have to deal with a coffee headache in the hospital.

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/18 8:12 am
VSG on 03/01/18

I knw it causes malabsorption or vitamin loss after surgery. And it's a great idea u have there to stop prior to surgery, why add to whatever this surgery is going to bring. I just don't understand the reason it's not listed as an option on liquid diet. Almost if not all liquid diets have coffee on them. Maybe its something to do with the lver, cuz thts y we have to go on liquid diet before so the liver will detoxify & shrink. Guess I'm going to have to break down & call them. Cuz coffee is soo huge for me

theAntiChick
on 3/7/18 8:27 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

What's your source for the statement that coffee causes malabsorption/vitamin loss? I have never heard that or anything like it (I'm an RN). Even the belief that caffeine causes dehydration has been disproven.

Coffee can be hard on the stomach, so a lot of surgeons try to get us to go off coffee before surgery. You don't want to be in caffeine withdrawal while you're recovering, and there's a good chance you won't be able to tolerate coffee for a while post-op. Some do, though, so it varies from person to person.

Also, most people don't drink their coffee black. The creamers and sweeteners may be the actual reason they don't advise coffee in the pre-op phase.

Personally, my surgeon said she didn't care if I drank coffee at any point. But I knew I wouldn't want it post-op especially if I couldn't have creamer and sweetner. So I weaned myself off several weeks before surgery. Interestingly, I haven't really picked the habit back up. I tolerate it fine, but I kinda like not being addicted anymore.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/18 8:56 am
VSG on 03/01/18

I don't have a source. I dnt knw if I read it, misread it, or thought it. Thats the readon for my question to gain enlightrnment on the coffee consumption. I'm going to wean off, it stained my lower teeth anyway.

theAntiChick
on 3/7/18 9:24 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

That's cool. I wasn't trying to be snarky. :) If there was a source, I wanted to check it out. I certainly don't know everything. ;)

You'll find a lot of people, doctors included, who will say coffee causes dehydration which is their main reason for advising to get off of it with WLS. That has been completely scientifically debunked.

Everything we consume has to be processed out by the liver and/or kidneys. So technically, it can stress the liver and/or kidneys. But so does anything with caramel coloring or too much sugar, or any number of chemicals that our bodies don't need. It doesn't have any particular toxicity except in some people with pre-existing problems or sensitivities.

It is a stimulant, it can be a little rough on the stomach, and it can increase bowel activity. For those reasons I personally didn't want to drink any at least until I was cleared for a full diet. And since I didn't want to go through withdrawal post-op, I weaned off earlier. Not saying that's the only way, just my reasoning. :) And since my preferred coffee is a ridiculous number of calories at Starbucks (none of the sugar-free stuff tastes good to me, and aspartame causes me to get migraines) I'm probably a lot better off staying away from it. And it's pleasant to not HAVE TO HAVE it every day in order to avoid the withdrawal headache. :D

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/18 9:43 am
VSG on 03/01/18

Tijuanbariatric

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/18 9:53 am
VSG on 03/01/18

My cell is really giving me a hard time. I read it on tijuana bariatrics - today, but heard the vitamin thing somewhere. Noting that I read so many sites & so many people it isnt always so to say written in stone. My initial question was jus for before surgery. I know of several people personally that still drink coffee & liquor after bariatric surgeries, but I'm too afraid to cause myself complications. I didn't think u were being snarky, I can sense u just wanted to read & check reliability of site. I like sources so when I warn/tell others I can share the link.

Gwen M.
on 3/7/18 12:37 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

My anatomy prof told us that the "source" for this statement is people tend to drink coffee (and other caffeinated things like soda) instead of drinking nutritious drinks or eating nutritious food. So.. total correlation to the claim. No proof of causation at all.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active