Question about beef

PookyS
on 4/27/18 4:42 pm

I am 9 months post-op today and am down 110 pounds. I have been eating dairy, poultry and fish for protein until today when I had my first hamburger without the bun. I cooked it myself, so it's not fast food. I feel absolutely horrible! Is this normal? My stomach hurts, I have some indigestion, and I'm dizzy. Lesson learned, but why would this happen after so many months?

B. Jones
on 4/27/18 5:24 pm

My experience and others I know who have had WLS is that it takes time, maybe 1-2 years to eat (enjoy) most or all the things you did before. It's like you try it and if it doesn't agree with you, go back and revisit another time is something my Dr. mentioned to me.

A lot of people have one or two things they never do enjoy again after WLS, I miss my KFC BAD! But the oil doesn't agree with me and can't seem to do citrus much just to acidic I guess.

I would wait a month or two or try a little different seasoning or cook it differently and you may enjoy it again just a different version of it.

rocky513
on 4/27/18 5:45 pm - WI

Ground beef is made from the toughest cuts of meat. You would think, because it is ground, it would be easier to digest. It's not. You might have better luck with a good, marbled with fat, rib-eye steak. It's much easier for me to eat than ground beef.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Valerie G.
on 5/2/18 1:48 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

^^^^^^THIS!!!!

Try something nice and slow cooked like a pot roast, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/18 6:18 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

It took almost a year for me to actually be able to eat ground beef without it sitting horribly. Trust me, just get a good cut of steak. You'll enjoy it more, and it will likely sit better in your stomach.

califsleevin
on 4/27/18 7:37 pm - CA

This is one of those many variables where some have a problem while others don't. I've never had a problem with ground beef, though my wife did. The surgeon told his then that it was not an uncommon tolerance issue, and suggested that many patients find that filet works better, and indeed it did. This ranks as the best Rx we have ever gotten from an MD, and one that we still fill regularly (though ground beef works reasonably well, too, these days.)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

PookyS
on 4/28/18 4:24 am

Thanks, everyone! I feel so much better this morning. The next time I try beef, it will be a good cut of steak.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/28/18 6:25 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I've been able to eat ground beef since about 4 months out, but I eat less of it than other meats (2-2.5 ounces even now). I never have more than 1/2 of a hamburger even at 2 years out. Also, I have to chew the heck out of it.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Renren
on 4/28/18 10:47 am
VSG on 12/02/15

It took me a long time before I could eat ground beef. If I make hamburger pattys now I mix in egg, It make it easier for me to digest somehow. But I do have to make sure I chew it until it almost disappears in my mouth. If I don't I get a stomach ache.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

nashandra
on 7/2/21 6:10 am, edited 7/5/21 2:21 am

Of course you can eat beef, of course, but there are some things that you should know! First of all, don't think that it will not have consequences at all. This meat is heavy, don't forget about it, and your body can say it's okay to consume it with moderation. Second, I think that buying some beef jerky is a better idea to be honest. It?s also a heavy dish, but it?s not that fat, so your stomach will consume it relaxed. Here https://www.bigwigjerky.com.au you can have the best beef jerky I have ever tried in my life. Nevertheless, remember, overeating can cause you problems whatever you?d eat!

Most Active